How does he do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swingset, Aug 10, 2007.

1. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I keep driving by a big commercial property, and it's got some lush grass so the stripes really stand out. The property is completely dotted with trees, and randomly spaced so there's no straight line that will avoid one.

Who ever is cutting this place is using what looks like a 36" deck (I've never seen them out, btw). What's stumping me is that the stripes go completely "through" the trees, there's no turns around them, no evidence that the mower is doing anything but going straight.

I'm impressed, to say the least. This is a big place, big enough for a 52" ZTR, so if the guy is backing out of his lines instead of whipping around the trees, (which is nearly impossible because backing he'd run into another tree before hitting a turn spot), this property would take you a full day to mow.

How the heck is he doing this? I'm relatively new at the commercial game, and I can't figure it out....is he using some anti-matter WB that passes through trees?

:confused: :hammerhead: :dizzy:

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Not difficult at all.

You have to go around the tree when you get up to it, then when you make your next pass back the other way, you run back over the spot striping the grass the other way.

It makes it look like the stripe has run right into the tree and out the other side.

3. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I'm familiar with doing that, but even when you re-run back over it, you can see the turn, or at least the wheel tracks...sometimes (depending on the mower) it's faint, but it's always there if you look close. I'm only 10' away from some of the trees when I drive by, and I've checked them out from above sitting at a stop light and I can't see ANY evidence the mower is circling the trees.

Does that make sense? I mean, I do what you're talking about, but with all my mowers it leaves a trace that you've gone around them....especially on the forward edge of the line directly in front of the tree as you can't re-run over it unless you back away from the tree.

4. fiveoboy01

Well if you're using a striper, and one that works well enough, you really can't see where the mower has gone around the tree. Let me see if I can find a picture to give an example.

5. fiveoboy01

[​IMG]

See here, there is that small tree in the front yard, the stripe to the left of it is ran right by the edge of the ring, but the one that goes up to the tree, I have to circle around to the left of it(as I come towards the sidewalk). Next pass up to the right of the tree(going away from the sidewalk), it stripes the grass over the other way well enough that you can't tell.

Sometimes if there is a faint visible circle I'll run over that one stripe to make it disappear.

6. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Again, I understand the principle of going over the line as you're telling me, but that's not the mystery.

The thing is, there are probably 50 trees on this property, and EVERY SINGLE ONE would require a lot of fuss to erase the line, and even if that's what he's doing - which again, would take ALL DAMN DAY on a 36" mower, his technique and striping kit must be flawless, God-like. There are NO traces of a turn.

I've never seen anything like it.

I guess you'd have to see it first hand to appreciate, but I've seen probably a thousand different striped properties around here, including the ones I've done myself, and I've never seen this so surgically clean...and it's like that every time. No marks, no wheel tracks, not the slightest faintest evidence.

Look at your stripes the next time you pass a tree like that, and look close. You'll see signs you went around it.

7. fiveoboy01

Hmm.

Well I don't know what to tell you... Maybe the guy is just that good.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never striped a yard. Scalped a few spots in a yard once, but i have never striped.

Oh yeah he might have a hand roller to touch up tree areas. you know like a striper on a stick. Would be really easy to make one.

9. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I have two theories.

First, it's actually a divine LCO.

[​IMG]

Second, and more plausible, alien intervention...

[​IMG]

10. fiveoboy01

Well it's one of those things that I really don't care about that much...

Problem is(and maybe you have different grass types where you're at that don't stripe well), even without a striper of some sort on the mower, you still end up with stripes from the deck itself.

So if you're not at least paying some sort of attention to how you're mowing, the lawn gets striped but it looks crummy.