How does Maruyama rank among the other leading trimmer makers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtk47, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jtk47

jtk47 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on Maruyama, they have a 5-year commercial warranty.

2. LawnPro19

LawnPro19 LawnSite Senior Member

to be honest i was excited my dealer just started carrying them a few months ago... so i finally got to demo one a few weeks ago and i was not impressed at all...they certainly dont have the power they advertise, the "easy starting system" wasnt so easy... so im definately sticking with shindaiwa!!

3. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

The 30.2cc rated 1.7hp. It might be a little on the liberal side. The question is how does it compare to the other 30cc trimmer like like the RM3001, Stihl FS110 or Shindaiwa T272, T282? The weight is comparable to RM3001 and lighter than T272 and T282.

As for blowers. I have the Maruyama BL8100 which is the same as Kawi KRB750. I like it, it is $389.

4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

maruyama takes a long long time to get them broke in. Also they have had a carb issue's which they are taking care of. I have a bl3100 blower that has taken almost three years of use for it to loosen up good. she runs strong but for the first 2.5yrs it was a dog.

5. Alan0354

Funny you said this!!! I have the Maru BL8100 which technically has Kawi TK65 engine. I swear when I first bought it last year, it was not very strong and really not a whole lot stronger than my 34cc EB3410 Shindy hand held. I just believed that this was how it is. I must have about 40 hours or so on it. Lately I was using it and in the middle happened to swich to the Shindy, man what a difference!!! It was so gradual that I didn't even pay attention of the increase in power until I happened to use both one after the other!!! I was so surprised by that. Now it actually feel like it is double the power of the Shindy which is in line with the spec of 200mph and 720cfm.

As I said, it is a Kawi engine, I don't know how much this imply to the Maru engine. One thing for sure, it need more than 10 hours or a few tankful of gas.

6. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I know the maruyama has a chrome impregnated cylinder were almost everyone else is chrome plated. It takes awhile. My dad has a bc260 that is at least 10yrs old and still going and it is used daily. It is however a pre epa engine.

7. jtk47

jtk47 LawnSite Member
    from MS

thanks guys, yeah i was wondering about the new models. My dad has had a Maruyama for close to 20 years and it still runs like a champ.

8. Alan0354

Don't buy the ones with CER300 or CER230 engine. Those are the ones that are CARB compliant. If you are lucky to live in a state not like the People's Republic of Kalifornia, get the ones with the AE or BE engine.

I can tell you that I read the IPL of the Maruyama hedge trimmer, the design is very good. They have ball bearing on both side of each gear. You study the others, some don't have ball bearing on all gears and RM have two ball bearing on one side!!! Why?? Only Shindaiwa and the Kawi D series have design like this. The only one I don't know is Stihl because they don't publish the IPL.

9. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

My blower has the compliant CER300 engine and so far it runs great. No catalyst in the muffler. The piston has a groove (like a ring groove) cut into the bottom that is exposed to the exhaust port at TDC to shunt some of the exhaust gas into the top of the transfer port. This spent gas charge reduces the amount of fresh charge that would blow through the combustion chamber and out the exhaust port. Maruyama claims this engine makes more power than the non-compliant version, doesn't seem logical to me but that's the claim. In any case for an EPA engine I like the simplicity of this design as there are no additional moving parts, adjustments or funky carbs.

A lot of things can change in 20 years, but if my Dad's was still running I'd feel like I owed it to them to try another. In any case the hand blower is the only piece of their equipment I can attest to and I'm happy with it.

10. Alan0354

Is it easy to start, does it need long warmup to get full speed? I was told it take long time to breakin, way more than 20 or 30 hours.