1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How does one bid leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by thedieselkid, Oct 11, 2006.

1. thedieselkid

thedieselkid LawnSite Member

I am going to do some leaf cleanup this fall, but mainly I am trying to figure how to bid certain things for next year. I would like to make 40 to 45 an hr with leaf cleanup with a 75 minimum. But how do I figure out what the production rates are for it. How does one know how long it will take to do a job. Thanks
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge an hourly rate starting at $80 for a 2 man crew with a minimum 1 hour. If the terrain is challenging then I charge more. Disposal of leaves is always extra. I don't think im out of line. I do use gas equiptment so I need to factor in that also.

3. thedieselkid

thedieselkid LawnSite Member

Is there any way to estimate it before you show up. That way the customer is not too suprised when they get the bill.
  4. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

Just by looking at it you must be able to guestimate how long it will take you. Just look at the size yard, how thick the leaves are, and how much hand work. You must have done these before just compare size lots and prices.
  5. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

The only way to estimate time is with experience. The longer you are in the industry, the better you will get at it. You'll screw up and estimate high, estimate low (hopefully be close). Its a learning process that there is no formula for. Every job is different. Pay attention and keep track of what you do.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It isn't going to work in most cases to tell a customer you are charging $45/hr and don't have any idea how long it wil take to do a cleanup.
  7. Joe2920

Joe2920 LawnSite Member

In my area the avg seems to be about $150 So I work off of that and change the figure depending on the shape of the yard and accesablility..
  8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Someone here on LawnSite (last year) had said that when you are new at the cleanup estimating, figure out how long you "think" it will take you, double that, and you might get close to what it will "actually" take.

Know what? It worked for me.:weightlifter:
    Now that I've been doing it a while, I can guesstimate much more accurately.
    But sometimes, I will only do some jobs by the hour.
  9. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

Another thing that works is to do an exceptional job, like cleaning leaves out of the gutters, or an area that most other people wouldnt get. If you do an outstanding job, they wont complain about the price. People will pay for good jobs.
  10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf clean up ALWAYS takes longer than what you think it will.

I usually start my prices at about 3 times the price I charge to cut the grass for that lawn.

But, of course, that all depends on how many leaves there really are.