1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How does one get that carpet look?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CraigPLC, Jul 23, 2012.

1. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

I can't help but notice some lawns that look like the lawn is a plush carpet, 100% free of ANY TIRE MARKS???

They look incredible!!! But they can't be done with a zero turn, not even a hint of a tire mark... So do they mower and then vacuum the lawn to get rid of the tire marks???
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Well like anything else you have different types of grasses. Then you have different cutting heights. Im not the expert but im sure someone will chime in.
  3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm not an expert but pro sports teams use helicopters to "fluff" the grass. A little out of my price range but I've seen companies use backpack blowers after mowing.
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on the type of grass, cut height, mower, and stripe kit and most important thing of all the operator!
  5. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of suction from the mower! High lift blades help a lot as well. You'll still have stripes in the lawn but only green living thing that wont stripe up north is weeds.

Many factors arise to give you that carpet look, but the grass type plays a huge part in it.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Reel mowers tend not to leave wheel marks and if you cut unidirectional it will stripe in one direction. A hover mower is another option. SA doesn't stripe well anyway so wheel marks are gone in a day anyways.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I find a front drive mower with high left blades are best at leaving fewer marks.
  8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with u Patriot. SA doesn't stripe well. Now my walker cuts SA like a carpet.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

owner make us use a 60" gravely ZTR with the deck height pin removed.
    7 apps of fert
    water everday
  10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I firmly believe it has more to do with having a healthy lawn and irrigation. healthy grass will recover quickly after mowing.