how does pruning affect roots?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by east sooke man, Jun 2, 2005.

1. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

how does pruning affect roots?

I have a situation where there are four leylandi cypress, one planted at each corner of a concrete water reservoir and the concern is, if they might in their growing, damage the concrete wall with their root growth. They are about 10 feet tall now and have never been pruned, my question is;would regular pruning of the tops limit the root size, or should I just take them out now to prevent trouble in the future. They serve a purpose of beginning to hide the pillbox like top structure of the resevoir and so if they are not going to cause any problems I will just keep them pruned. Any tree people out there able to answer this? thanks .
    Force of Nature Landscaping
    Victoria B C Canada
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I had a client with 17 Leylandi planted about 3' from a block wall and they were 20' tall and have not bothered the block wall yet.They were packed in there in a raised bed,If there is another place for the roots to go they will.DO not cut back to control growth,the more you cut these tree's the more roots and foliage they put out.