How does the light work???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 5, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know if this is the correct thread, but ill put it here anyway! My question is, how does the light on my snowblower get power if there is no battery on the unit? Just when i start the engine the light comes on and when i shut it down, it turns off (what a surprise!! :p ). Thanks for the responses! :p :p

2. briggsman65

briggsman65 LawnSite Member

As with anything be it a car or a lawnmower. The battery is used to start a motor and after that everything runs off of a generator/alternator. While the motor is running the alternator/generator charges the battery so it can start the motor next time. Hopefully this answers your question.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

There is a charging coil on the engine, much like how a alternator on a car engine works.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Its called a magneto
    mag·ne·to ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mg-nt)
    n. pl. mag·ne·tos
    A device that produces alternating current for distribution to the spark plugs, used in the ignition systems of some internal-combustion engines.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I repair them but don't know names....the device that converts the AC to DC is called a magneto?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Now that everybody knows the proper name and function of a coil, I believe they were talking about a Stator.
    There are two type stators used on small lawn & garden equipment engines.
    One type stator puts out direct current (DC) and can be wired directly to the wire harness on a given type unit. The other type puts out alternating current (AC) which must be connected to a voltage regulator which in turn converts the alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) at which point it then can be wired into a wire harness on a given type unit.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That device is called a Voltage Regulator.