How does the Scag Pro V controles work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenred, Jul 20, 2008.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I was browsing Scag's website and looking at images of the new Scag Pro V set up. They dont really explain how it works and was wondering if any of you guys with experience using it could fill me in.

2. BOSCHERT LAWN CARE

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

the "v handle" rotates left to right to turn. you push down and it travels foward and pull up for reverse. it takes a good 20 minutes to get used to it, and learn how to rotate both drive tires so you do not rip the turf. for the safety it has sensor grips that know your hands are on the handle!

make sure to demo one before you buy for sure

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

we have one and the controls are really simple to get used to. infinitely easier than the pistol grip belt drive i have used before. the best thing about them is that all controls and directions are instant like a rider so you can do everything in one continuous motion rather than having to change directions etc...

4. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

The thing I wonder about, is how these different, and I mean different that pistol grips, do on really steep banks? I know a pistol gripped machine can mow a really steep bank!

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

either a pistol or any other control machine (hustler, toro etc...) will reach its limit due to traction, when that happens it is very difficult to wrestle a 700lb machine on a steep incline.

on a pistol grip you are putting constant pressure on the downhill side of the machine to keep it up. with the pro v you have to use the steering to make the downhill side wheel turn faster than the uphill side. the trick is at the end of the pass to turn the machine you have to do it in one complete motion, which is really easy due to the control setup, b/c if you stop the machine, trying to get it going again without losing traction is a pain, and thats where you run into problems. another nice thing about the controls is if you are in a situation where your stuck or spinning the tires, b/c forward/reverse left/right are instantly controlled like a z, you can try maneuvering the machine out of some pretty tricky spots, instead of having to stop, then engage reverse, then go forward again etc... plus like ive said before you can walk on the uphill side and use one hand to operate the pro v keeping you safer.

6. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I mow some pretty steep slopes with our Pro-V. You angle of attack should be a gentle down slope path, back it into the position you want for your first pass, then go. For a 600+ lb machine it isn't too bad to maneuver.

The two best things I like about this mower so far are:
    1.) No more squeezing pistol grips
    2.) One handed operation for turning as well as forward and reverse when around tight obstacles.