1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How does this happen...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landstroker51, Dec 28, 2004.

1. landstroker51

landstroker51 LawnSite Member

A homeowner in a neighborhood where I do alot of work had a swimming pool installed. This is an upper class neighborhood - doctors mostly - homes from $300,000 upward. Anyway, they ask me to give them an estimate to come in and install a new lawn. The pool guys left a rough grade. I would have to install top soil, seed and mulch over. Approximately 5500sqft. Most of the topsoil would have to be wheelbarrowed in because of bad access. Anyway, I
    come up with an estimate of $3500-3700. Job is completed at that price at customers satisfaction. So I give the lady the estimate - she opens it up like a maniac - looks at it and...... here is the best part!
    SHE TELLS ME THAT THAT PRICE IS WAY TOO HIGH AND SOME OTHER PERSON (NOT CONTRACTOR) IS GOING TO DO THE WHOLE JOB FOR.....$400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you kidding! The topsoil itself was around $1000. Also come to find out another company gave an estimate near mine. So she went with the $400.00
    estimate.
    Well since I am always in the neighborhood I kinda check on whats going on.
    It took this guy 3 weeks to spread topsoil and I know its not up to finished grade. He never put seed down or anything yet.......... now its covered in snow. I am glad these people learned the hard way. I hope they call me to fix it.....triple the price now!

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

They will get what they pay for thats for sure.It sounds impossible to do it for that price.

3. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

Wow thtas great!! sux for you but it kinda makes you feel good in some ways.....hope there happy now. which part of central Ny are you? I'm in rochester. sounds like central ny....bunch of cheapos lol

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

$400 would not even pay for me to arrange the delivery of the materials

5. landstroker51

landstroker51 LawnSite Member

Exactly, I dont feel bad because I didnt get the job.
    I just love when the lowballer comes around and cant handle the job!
    It gives a sense of relief if you know what I mean.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area they would have sodded it for about $600... and hydro mulch would be less all day long. Yep they would have spread about a inch of top soil before hydro... Some of the biggest companies do the work and yes they make money! For $3700 they would have probably put in 2 trees and some shrubs and extended the irrigation to the back. We will send some of our Mexican guys on there to show you how to keep you cost down! It is all about volume no cherry picking down here!

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I had to learn the hard way a couple of years ago. NEVER bid a job if you are clueless and I was clueless on this one. I was the unintentional lowballer. These folks had a new house and had a lowspot where the utilities were brought in and had settled about 2 feet. Gave a bid of $700.00 to bring in topsoil and bring it up to grade, level and seed. Where I made my huge mistake was in estimating the amount of soil needed. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ended up having to raise my estimate by double. Fortunately, I called it an estimate and the homeowners were good sports and paid. The lady did tell me that the final price was right at what the next higher bid from mine was. They did like the quality of the work though. Live, learn and don't lowball. I got very nervous about halfway through when I realized I had underbid so much. :eek:

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no way they can sod for $600.00
    that's less than $1.00/yard.
    sod will be at least $1.25/yard all by itself without labor.

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe they are using Mexican sod, too!

10. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Now that was FUNNY! :D