1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Does This Sound

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by l1011100, Mar 28, 2005.

1. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I am starting to set people up for year round maintenance. I currently have a commercial account that I want to get on a contract. I am trying to work out the monthly payment and want to know if this sounds right. This is a nursing home.

36 Mows for front yard @$40 = $1440
    18 Mows for back yard @$40 = $720
    9 Monthly charge to cleanup pine cones and sticks every week of mowing season $30 = $270
    4 Fertilizing front yard @60 = $240
    1 Fertilizing back yard @$100 = $100 (Contracting out, no license yet)
    2 Hedge Trimmings @$200 = $400
    Pine Straw cleanup in fall $300
    Total $3470
    $289.16 Monthly Payment
    Should I add anything in for cleanup in the months I am not mowing or just stretch out the $300 for pine staw cleanup for 16 weeks? My standard rate for cleanup labor is $40 and I figured on 7.5 hours for the job.
    The property is about 2 acres with lots of pine trees and is mostly grass. It takes me about 2.5 hours to do the front and back yards including all the edging and trimming. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I am used to just charging just for mows and cleanups at the time of the service.
  2. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

bump to the top
  3. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

One more time to the top
  4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

80 dollars total for mowing seems a little low, if it takes 2.5 hours.
    Maybe thats the going rate down there though.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

if it takes 2 1/2 hours to mow the front and back you are making less than your standard rate of $40/hour mowing, which is most of what you are doing. I would try to go a bit higher. Is this an account you currently have? They can be terrible, and i mean TERRIBLE payers.
  6. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I cut him a break on the mowing because this guy has gotten me so much business, I have 4 accounts that he recommended me to. I just started mowing this place this year. I have done some cleanup and hedge trimming in the past for them and they have always paid on time so I'm not worried about them paying. I'm trying to get them on a contract because they told me they don't want to have to touch anything outside so they can concentrate on the business.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what sort of business is it? i'm assuming industrial or there abouts cause of only mowing the back 9 every other week. if its retail they want an awesome property ALL the time.

Regardless my price for commercials is higher, they want a nice looking property for clients to see, its an operating expense.

what sort of equipment are you running? 2.5 acres on my Z would be about 1-1.5 hours. and i'd probably like to see $125-150 for it depending on trimming & cleanup. Of course markets vary, & not every cares about their properties as much as the next business down the street.

Also, have you priced ferts? $60 to fert an acre is low.
  8. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

The business is a private nursing home, the property is next to an old farm and the back yard is mostly weeds and soon to be crabgrass, it is pretty much hidden because of the size of the house and trees. The front yard is in pretty good shape. It has been serviced for years by an older gentleman with a lawn tractor who I think only charged them $35 a cut. (It took him all day) As far as fert I found a guy to sub out most of my properties who will do it for $60. (its only about 3/4 acre) The back is a one time a year fert $100.
    I am running a 52" Lazer Z. I picked it up last fall and am still getting efficient on it. Your right I probably should be charging more for this prop.
    However I still have the conflict of what to charge them on top of normal services in the off weeks. They want me to come by every week and just pick the place up and blow off the drive and sidewalk. (20 Min tops) I am already charging them $30 a month for general cleanup during the mowing season and $300 for pine straw cleanup. Is that enough?