How does TORO T-Bar steering work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Dec 10, 2003.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

I am new to lawncare business and am looking to move up to commerical equipment from old snapper rear engine I have been using. I have found a 44' Toro Proline Floating Deck used for sale. I was needing some insite into how the T-Bar steering works before I go take a look at the mower and demo.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Charlie

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

===============================
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

like that, "T-Bar" push foward on the right side, the mower goes to the left, push the left side it goes to the right. push both at the same time, it goes straight

3. CRM Lawncare

If you pull back on the bar does it break or just disengage the belt drive? Guess I'm asking how do you break.

4. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

If you pull back on the bar it applies the brakes. If you let go of it , it releases the drive belts. The is on a belt drive model.

5. CRM Lawncare

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

When you pull back on the hydro, it goes in reverse. I have one of the hydros with 800 hours on it, works very nice, 15hp kohler. It will be a nice step up from the rear engine "Shi-napper"

7. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Just so you don't make a mistake, in my opinion hills and T-bars are like oil and water, just don't go together. I have seen guys on hills w/ them and I have put'em hills before but my preference in the pistol grip.

8. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

How much had you ran a T-bar before you put it on a hill? I have a gear drive 44 and I run it on hills that my 21 tries to flip over on.

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I don't have any problem with my Hydro T-Bar on hills. Nice thing about the t-bar is you can drive the mower with one hand, straight ahead or backwards, if you need to. Much better control system than pistol grips, IMO.

10. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Rick Jones
    I also like that you don't have to close your hands around it except in tight turns. In most conditions I can run mine with my palms and finger tips.