How dumb a customer can be...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, May 19, 2003.

1. How about giving you the wrong address to their house, and you have been servicing the account since March.

The correct one is 4 houses away.

The only thing bad about not meeting them on their property.

We have cut it 11 times, going on 3rd app, aerated and seeded, mulched planted 2 bushes, and she has paid the bills.

This makes me wonder how we have done the wrong house and she still has been paying the bill.

I went by today (Sunday) to see what was up with this, the lawn is 3 feet tall, and the crew that cuts it keeps commenting on how tall it was at the correct address but wasn't at the time.

Again she was paying the invoice at the incorrect address.

Well I now have a new customer who wants us to continue the service. She was the one who called after she asked around with neighbors who was doing her lawn. She was happy to not have to push mow it any longer.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Is it possible that she doesn't live in the house?
  3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Forget that, is she picking up the expence of the services you have done for her and owe to the lady 4 houses away?

I can imagine this situation, hope all works out for you.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

WOW. Thats a good one. You basically made your own business by just showing up and getting to work. Thats cool.

That is one of my nightmares. Doing the wrong place. It worked out well for you. Our business is forgiving in that respect. The lawn can always be cut and it always grows back. My buddy used to be in the tree business. Your situation happened to him. How does a 50 year old oak grow back? That cost him some money. After that he insisted on meeting the person and having them physically take him to the tree that they wanted cut.

Get that flail mower down the street and take care of that 3' lawn.

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Show up at a stranger's house, start mowing and see if they pay.

Its a marketing idea that might just work. 9 times out of ten, you'll get yelled at but that tenth time could be magic.
  6. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Good Grief! :dizzy: :dizzy: I have not heard of one like that before. I guess all is well that ends well.:D
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Oh man, that's a good one! LOL! Glad it worked out for you in the end.

When I delivered furniture for a living, we had a similar thing happen. Delivered a BIG, HEAVY 3 piece entertainment center to the wrong house (were given the wrong number).
    Had to go back later in the day to pick it up and move it down 2 houses!
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

not only is the one that was paying the bill a real winner but the one that is getting her yard done for free by the mystery yard people and not wondering about it is a brain surgeon also!:eek:

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt this one of the most dreaded nightmares of our business, showing up at the wrong address and doing the work?

What I dont get, she still paid and the other who got the services didnt immediately start asking who's doing it.

LGF, are you working for the looney tunes farm again? hahaha :p
  10. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I"VE DONE IT TOO!!!!

I was told by a friend that does sodding irrigation and landscape to spray Dr. SO&SOs on approach drive. No problem I spray it last week and find out friday that he sold that house 3 months ago!

I sprayed the right one today and called the new owner of the other house to appoligise and to let him know it has been sprayed he says bring him a contract "I knew somthing was different I didn't see and damdelions" He said he had trouble getting rid of them in the past.