How early are you cutting and how late for that matter.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carl28, Jul 18, 2001.

1. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

What time are you able to start cuttting in you neck of the woods. we can't get much accomplished before 9:00 am because of the dew. Try to finish are days before 7:00 pm what about you and why.

2. dhicks

dhicks Member

Your schedule is similar to mine. However, I try not to mow after 6 PM. The dew is starting to form and I hate to bother the customers after just coming home.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe a stupid question, but why does the dew hold you up? We all talk about how good the mowers still cut when it rains, and we mow then. I am a rookie so I might be missing something but what is it? I can understand slopes and so forth may get a little slick but what else?

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We leave the house at 8:45 and finish by 5:00. One or two days Matt might work till 8:00 pm depending on if we get backed up due to rain.

The dew doesn't bother us, but we don't start earlier because it isn't fair to get the kids up any earlier than necessary to go to grandmas house.

5. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

When i refer to the dew my concern is for the damage caused by cutting wet grass wet grass slows blade tip speed resulting in more tearing of the blades then cutting in addition cutting wet grass does a number on you blades. picture smacking your hand against the water in the sink as hard as you can 100 times a second sooner or later your hand has got to start to sting well blade have got to dull exponetially faster. Finally wet lawns me more slipping more sliding and less throw of your clippings the majority of our accounts are weekly cuts and this means were cutting 2-3-4 inches of heavy thick turf. not to mention how much more fun it is to get those wet clippings of the new drive when one of the boy decides to drive down the 1/4 mile long drive on his way back to the trailer.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

8 am till dark, we usually don't acually get to the job till around 8:30 through

7. ok, i start in the morning at 9 oclock normally. however a few weeks ago i started at like 5 am. did the lot at the deli. i think i went until like 9 oclock that night. something like that. no, actually i believe it was 10 pm or 11 pm. tonight, we started at 10 am, and i finished blowing the lot at the deli at i believe, about 10 oclock. at night.

8. script

script LawnSite Member

Some days I've been starting at 0715 and other days I may start about 0830 till about 1530 to 1800. Just depends on the weather.

Bobby

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I try to start at 8

when the grass was growing I would start by 6

Some nights till 9:30

residential (8-5)
    commercial(anytime)

most days 9-5

:)