how early do you start in the morning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by david griggs, Jun 13, 2002.

1. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

my wife & i get out about 7 but i want to start earlyer, like 6 or 630. is that too early?ive had only 2 people complain, one wasent a customer. i say screw em, its hot out here!!

2. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

We start out as soon as possible (7:00am residential 6:00 on commercial)

City ordinance does apply in certain areas (up scale sub-division) most people understand about early starts when it gets hot and will not complain. When you get a customer that complains just move them down on the schedule if they complain again it time to send them packing.

Call the city and get ordinance on contractor start times (just to keep in your back pocket incase some one gives you grief)

The way I look at it is my men’s health and my health or far more important than worrying about waking there candy ass up out of bed in the morning.
    ;)

3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I always try to start around 7:00 A.M, I work all day but I like to double time it in the morning so I work casually during the hot part of the day. There was a guy around here that the dealer was telling me about that had lights all over his mowers, evedently he cut a lot of industrail areas so he would start cutting at like 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

No earlier than 7 AM.
    Its an ordinance in all the cities and towns I mow in.
    I do commercials at 7, its usually wet anyway.

5. I start at 7am, doing residential only. When I take customers on I let them know how early I start and can adjust their spot in the route if needed.
    I like to start early to beat the heat, probably produce 2X work per hour from 7-10 as later in day.
    Also we get afternoon thunder storms regularly (no rain) and I want to be done before they start.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

7:30 or so...might sound late to some...but we are not afraid to work until 6 or 7 at night when we have to. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

7. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

8:00 or 9:00 to give the dew a chance to dry up in the spring and about the same in the summer becouse of late night brousing on lawn care.com forums and other internet sites

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

On my commercials I'll start about 6:30am but residentials not until at least 8:00am. I checked and was told no noise before 7:00am. I have not had any complaints on commercials but I have had complaints on residentials before 8:00am.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know we all want to get ahead and avoid the heat, but I think you're being inconsiderate if you're mowing before about 8am. I try to start at 9am, just to avoid any problems. I've never had one complaint about noise in 10 years. A lot of people have night jobs, are retired, or whatever, so 6:30 is just too early. I try to think "when would you be waking up for work, normally?" So 7:30 might be acceptable to most people.

Also, I find the dew problem early is terrible some times of the year. I'd rather mow dry grass in the heat than wet, soppy messy grassy early. I can take the heat.

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial accounts can be started early,6:30- 7:00(Sometimes earlier).
    Residentials are another story. Some areas are no problem,others can be if started before 8:00 A.M.
    Depends on the zoning here.