1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How early do you start mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Aug 26, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed that the ground is pretty wet in the mornings and doesn't really dry out until around 10 or 11.Right now I only have a few customers but as I get busier I'll need to get started earlier.Doesn't all that moisture interfere with the mulching ability of the mowers?Also,do customers mind if you crank up all your equipment very early in the morning?How early do you guys get started every day?
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

around 9 am.
  3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Between 7 and 8. We usually schedule the lawns so the "not so great lawns" are done first when it is wet and save the nice one for when it dries out.
  4. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Same Here. Usually start at 8:00.

I do see a guy on my way to work who mows a few commercial accounts. See him there every mon or tue around 6:30am. And he's usually done when I pass by.
  5. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

We start around 7:30 or 8:00 on residentials
    and we do our commercials as early as we can.
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers work just like I do. I figure by 8:00 they should be up and off to work or close to it. Haven't had any complaints yet. However, on the occasional Saturday I may work, I may arrive at 8, but do "quiet" work until 9 or so.
  7. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Prior to school starting, I would not start before 8:30 weekdays, but now I usually start 8:00 am. Getting a slow start today, though :)
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a link to a township ordinance that deals with early morning sound. Each town is different. This quote gives some insight into this topic.

"(b) Construction operations from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekdays and 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekends for which building permits have been issued, or construction operations not requiring permits due to ownership of the project by an agency of government; providing all equipment is operated in accord with the manufacturer's specifications, and with all standard equipment, and with manufacturer's mufflers and noise-reducing equipment in use, and in proper operating condition."

more info here.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

run from 9am to 8pm during the spring months
    run from 8am to 9pm during the summer months
    and then 8am to 8pm/7pm during the fall months
    3:30am to 7pm during the winter months
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Start at 8:30AM Residential, and 6:00AM Commercial.