How early in AM do you start mowing??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fescue Farmer, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

How early do you guys start mowing - what are the deciding factors?

Residential?
    Commercial?
    Early morning due or frost?
    Intake of particularly intoxicating beverages the night before?

Some of our lawns I won't get on until the dew is burned off - others I don't care - our irrigated lawns do not run the day we mow (if we are on schedule :))

It is nice to start work early and get home early before the hottest part of the day, but it is hard fighting wet grass in early AM.

Just wondered how you all do it - we have varying opinions amongst our crew!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

2. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

I am a night owl by nature. My schedule (when left to my own devices) is sleeping from 4am till 11 or so. RIght now that isnt quite my schedule though...

I prefer to get a later start in the am. About 9a is a good time for me. No families or neighbors can complain about 9am mowings. Once the heat starts to really kick in I quit for a few hours. I do side jobs during this time. (light handyman work kind of stuff. I make sure these clients know and understand my schedule)

I return to mowing again later in the afternoon. I finish mowing by 7p at the latest.

after a quick bit of dinner I normally have a house to go to to work on. (These are homes that are empty do to being for sale or have just sold) I finish work there by 11p.

When I get home if there is any maintance work to be done on the mower's I do then. I stop all work no later then 2am That is when I sit down with a beer and relax.

3. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

I start all residentials at 8:00 and my 1 commercial at 7:00 ( It is near residentials )

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I start on residentials by 7 am. Commercials are started early enough to guarantee that there are no cars to get in the way, usually 6 am.

If the grass growth is heavy and the dew or overnight rain hasn't dried up enough for me to cut I will throw the trimmer in the back of the truck, unhitch the trailer and go trim until conditions improve. My route is very tight so there really isn't any distance factor involved with this. I did this quite a few times last year and maybe once this year.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

There are quite a few restrictions placed on LCO's around where I have accounts. No earlier than 0700 on weekdays, not before 0830 on weekends, etc.
    I try to get to these accounts by 0630, which is about daybreak for my area.
    I would like to sleep in and start later but by 0930 or so it will be over 90*F. By 1200 it will be over 98*F and by 1300 over 100*.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I start residentials about 8:00am and commercials about 7:00am. I have tried starting eariler but due to complaints about noise, I now stick to 8 and 7 respectfully.

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

All my accounts but one are commercial. 6:00am is my prefered starting time unless too wet.

Richard Martin...that's one reason this website is so frickin cool. Thanks for the good idea, as obvious as it seems now, I had never thought about doing that with the trimmer. Guess that's why I'm my rookie year, live and learn. Thanks man!

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have no commercials to speak of now, but no earlier than 8:00am on residentials

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I like an early start. Today, I'll be going full speed before the crack of noon.
    Crawdad

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

commercial 6:15am and residentials can be 6:30am if I've got a full schedule, but normally I start residentials at 7am.