How early in the day is too early to start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 23, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year so I'm not full time yet; only 25-30 weekly customers ( which I'm thankful for!). But I'm a night owl sometimes and mostly don't get started 'til 11am, noon, or 1pm; when it's really hot out many times. I'm up early today and it's still cool out. IT's like 65 but it's supposed to get up to 89 today. I don't want to be out in 89 unless I have to, so is it ok to go ahead and begin at like 8am? I'm sure many of u guys have so many customers and/or 2 jobs so u have to start early. Just wondering, cause I know if it's too early, sometimes there is excessive dew on the ground and does that matter; although there's not hardly any on the ground here right now as it's very dry lately.

2. venom

venom LawnSite Member

I had a lady ask me the other day a neighbor not the homeowner if i will not mow before 1pm , Im like uh your crazy

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Know yuor Customers,,,,

I have some that work night's, they want me there early.... "before they go to bed.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have a mixture of commercial mow them early and late, i try to hold my residential to 8 to 5

5. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

I will never start a residential property before 8am. Many of my clients are Navy, so they are generally gone form home around 530AM, but residentially zoned areas have many noise restrictions. There are some neighborhoods here where they will fine you if you mow before 10 am. Commercially zoned properties can be mowed at anytime. On the hot days I tend to mow these before the sun comes up...I would deffinately say you should start early as possible so that you can be done before the really hot part of the day around 12-3pm. We had a small heatwave here in VA last year where the heat index was well into the 120s and I actually changed the route for my commercial guys and had them cut over night. Worked out really well actually..If I could only put an efficient light on a string trimmer.....:drinkup:

6. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I will not start before 8am.

Fairway Land & Lawn,
    Have you tried to ware one of those lights that strap to your head?

7. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

My father is 78 years old and a little out of it. When it snows he'll go out and snowblow at 4 am. He sometimes mows the lawn at 4 or 5 in the morning. When I visit him the folks around him complain to me about it.

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

We come in around 6AM to do machine maintenance, sharpen blades, load up, and fuel up. But local ordinance for the cities around here is 730AM -6PM in residential neighbor hoods for spring, summer, and fall. With commercial and municipal its when ever you want.

Easiest thing to do is just go to the (village/town/city your working in) hall or Police Department to get a list of ordinances.

9. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends i guess. The earliest i have started is 530 but that was on a cemetary. I normally don't start until 7:30 or 8 just because i want to do it while it is still cool.

10. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

7:00 am for us. We are usually on the first lawn by 7:30!

I have often contemplated a later start time but I am a morning person, so until local laws change I will be out with the worms.