1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How early on grass seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

How early can I put down grass seed? A customer was wanting it on March 10th. But, around here we don't start mowing until about April 1st. Will the seed germinate even though the rest of the grass hasn't started growing yet? Or, will the seed just wait until the temperature rises to germinate. In that case I'd probably be risking erosion if I did the ground prep and seeding now. Thanks for the help.
  2. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

If the grass seed will not be disturbed, you can put it down anytime with the proper preparation. But, since it won't germinate until the ground warms up enough anyway, you're better off waiting until late March.
  3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, wait till late march. but you can put it down any time. You can even throw it on top of snow. however it will not germinate till conditions are right.
  4. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

If it's just spot seeding and you'll just be throwing it down with some loam and raking it in, fine, but if your overseeing with aerating or slice seeding, I generally would'nt recommended it in the Spring. You have too much working against you: unpredictable Spring weather-could get too hot too fast, could rain like crazy running off the seed, you could make the environment more prone to weeds and especially crabgrass. Thats why when I aerate in the Spring I ALWAYS use a crabgrass pre-emergent AFTER I aerate. By doing this though, you should'nt seed the areas for 4-6 weeks. But then by that time you would want to aerate again if you're going to seed. But then I'd have to put pre-emergent down again and so on. You get my point.
    I just learned it's always best just wait until early fall to seed.
    If the customer has a lousy lawn and wants it looking good asap, tell them if they can be patient, with applications throughout the season the lawn will gradually look better, and then when overseeded in the fall, it will look great.
    I prefer this method instead of the potential hit or misses with Spring seeding.
  5. sdelorey494103

sdelorey494103 LawnSite Member
    from Capecod

When you guys refer to aeration you mean thatching obviously?
  6. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

No, aeration is the process of putting "holes" in the ground approx. 3"-4" to allow water and other nutrients to reach the turfs root system. Thatching is the process of removing dead grass that is choking the good grass out.
  7. joyce lawn care

joyce lawn care LawnSite Member

I am just starting out, totally. I have a guy who wants a spring clean up. I drove by the site, it's a corner lot not very big. I don't own any machines to aerrate or thatch so would have to rent whichever I would use. If I do a spring clean up would it be chinsy if I did a spring Clean up without any aeration or thatching and just did first cut and blow? He is also interested in weed control with seasonal fertilizing after that. If I did the thatching or aeration this would be the best time to put down my Lesco Preemerg so could get it all done in one shot. What should I do? doug
  8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

cover your a$$ and get licensed before applying pesticides, if your not already