How easy is it to "learn" a ZTR mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fishinman22487, Jun 29, 2005.

1. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Im going to be using a Scag 48" cub for a day and am wondering how easy it is to get the hang of the controls. I am very familiar with the sensitivity of hydro equipment like my own a hydro exmark. I have also operated a Toro Dingo before which is sooo easy to learn. Any advice would be helpful :)
    I dont want to worry about SPIN OUTS in my customers lawns!!! :dizzy:

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

When I got my first ztr, a 717, had never even been on one before. I picked the worst yard I had, 340 trees and bushes, and broke her in. Its actually real easy, the only thing to be careful with is if you dont keep the inside tire moving you will tear up the grass. Also going around trees to close will tear up the grass, biggest problem I had. Most folks on here recommend a 3 point turn. Or you just get in your yard and practice with it. Be careful though, once you use one of these bad boys you WILL have to have one!

3. fishinman22487

Thanks QualityLawnCare for the advice. Sounds like a pia yard you first tried your ztr!!!
    I will take your advice and try it in my yard for awhile.

How do you like your 60" Exmark?

4. QualityLawnCare4u

It will not take you long to get the hang of it at all. I like my lazer z so much I put it up for sale today, :cry: not because I wanted to, it and my new truck have gotta go do to bad economy here. The lazer cuts and bags great though, but I still like the Deere better.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Since you've used hydro's before, you should get comfortable with it pretty quickly.

6. fishinman22487

Yup, I hear ya. Im sure that 60" has a nice monthly payment with it uh?? Not to mention all your other expenses.
    So how many accounts ya got in blackshear?? My uncles live in waycross and blackshear prob not far from you right?

7. QualityLawnCare4u

Waycross is 7 miles from Blackshear. The lazer z is paid for. Right now Im back down in the low twenties on accounts. I have one commercial (3 yards) that keeps me afloat, and I know I could lose it anytime. I have had it for 7 years so far though. Actually most of my accounts are in Waycross, they are cheap but not like the clients in Blackshear. The longest I ever kept and account in Blackshear is 3 months before a 15 dollar lco takes it from me.

8. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Rule #1 both wheels have to be moving @ the same time
    ! :blob3:

9. fishinman22487

Thanks guys for all the comments i will post some pics of my yards i have mowed with the Scag later in the week....

10. tnturbo

tnturbo LawnSite Member

Hardest thing for me to get used to was slowing it down properly near curbs coming off a long hill. Turning without messing up the grass was the second hardest. You will catch on quick though