How effective are door magnets?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Eho, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I talked to a guy at the local sign shop and he said for a magnetic sign to advertise on my truck it would be $55. I think thats a reasonable price but was wondering how effective those are. To everybody who has their number on their truck...does this produce a lot of business for you guys?
  2. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

In my opinion, truck signs are invaluable. I find that people recognize me because of my signs. I also find that neighbors of my customers see my signs and write down my number and I can usually get some more work that way. payup For estimates, when I don't have any equipment with me, people like to know who is driving in their neighborhood.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I like to think of truck magnets or truck lettering as "name recognition". As for pulling in the customers, we've had our trucks lettered for 7 years, and I can only think of a few customers off hand that we picked up directly from our truck lettering.
  4. rather be mowin

rather be mowin LawnSite Member

I think they work but most effective to put them on the tailgate also...people have more of a tendancy to read something when they are just sitting there waiting for the light to turn green
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Same results. I have 3 trucks with full color vinyl. I don't get as many calls as you would think.
  6. I think door magnets are a great asset for identification purposes. You may not get a call directly from the magnets, but these combined with other advertising such as yellow pages ads are a great combo. If you are looking to get your name out there, I would definitely invest into some magnets for your vehicle(s).
  7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

As far as putting them on the tailgate..just remember that they are there if you are on your way back to the shop one day and notice a vehicle following you.. Had this happen one day with a green Dodge that followed me almost 2 miles till I got back to the shop and the truck was right on my butt. I even changed lanes a couple of times.. and they did too.. even when nobody was in the other lane.

I was ready for trouble, but they just wanted to know when they could bring a mower in.
  8. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

Commercial vehicles are required to be lettered in my area. State cops can write you up and fine you if you are not in compliance within a certain amount of time. Also required to have a fire extinguisher and a tri-angle kit in the vehicle. If you call your local p.d. they should be able to tell you what the requirements are in your area.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't remember the name now so you'll have to do a search but someone posted a www address on here some time back of a company that does mag door signs for $39.99 a pair, full color.
  10. LawnScapes of P-Town

LawnScapes of P-Town LawnSite Member

If you are going with magnets then i think that the pic below is great for the tail gate.

S-10 tailgate magnet.jpg