How effective is this product in controlling moss when used as a slow release fert..?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think fertilizer is really that important in moss growing... I believe the big 3 are:
    1) Shade, 2) compacted soil or stone, & 3) excessive water...

3. Exact Rototilling

Yet another up sell for aeration and the Gospel of proper mowing hieghts for cool season turf. :)

From what I've read thus far this fert with sulfur and iron can help to.aid moss due to Ph factor....?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ferrous sulfate and other varied forms of iron do kill some moss. I used ferrous sulfate yesterday on my shady back yard. I used Bonide 15 percent ferrous sulfate. Added to 2 gals water in a hand sprayer--applied to about 1000 sqft. Most of the moss turned dark brown. Not sure if its dead--but looks like it is dead. However--if last year is any indication--the moss comes back in a few months.

5. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

What is the price of this product?

6. Exact Rototilling

$29.50
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think I paid about $10 for the ferrous sulfate iron supplement product--about 2 pounds.

8. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't you just let the lawn get more sunlight, and possible aerate to reduce compaction, would that help a bit in controlling moss in a "organic" way if you want?