How everyone got to where they are now?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by M&R Specialty Lawns, Oct 10, 2007.

1. M&R Specialty Lawns

M&R Specialty Lawns LawnSite Member

I just wanted to start a topic and see how everyone got into the business, obviously everyone started out somewhere. How have you gotten to the point where you are today? Did you know quite abit b/f you entered or learned as you went? What kind of struggles did you face? Elaborate more on the beginning stages, how did you obtain financing, how much financing? What methods did you adhere to? What machines did you use to start? Basically anything you want to tell, it would be much appreciated as I am trying to visualize what its going to take to be successful when I do start in the biz...

Thanks everyone for their insight!
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Free Bump..
  3. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I started out helping my neighbor, her lawn guy disappeared. I started cutting her lawn with a 21 in toro. Then another neighbor and a woman whose husband died. Then a friend gave me three more, I figured it was a part time job! Then I talked to a friend who does 20+ lawns part time. So I bought a 36in bobcat, and a small trailer. So after 4yrs, Im on my third trailer and I have 1 hustler Z 1bobcat 36in 2small mowers,21 residentials, 2commercials, registered as a Llc. insured, and am gonna take a early retirement and go full time next year!!! ps still got the toro21in. :laugh:
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor always saw me outside tinkering with the mower and noticed how nice the yard was. One day she asked me to cut her yard. I was about 14 or 15 or so. I did hers and got more practice and then she talked to a lady at her church for me to mow hers as well. I didn't have any decent equipment, but what I had somehow managed to hold up. My dad drove me over to the other house and we worked on the yard until it was complete. I started with a 22" Murray, residential riding mower, a Weedeater, and a broom. We had to throw it all in the back of the trunk of the car. As far as getting started, it just kinda happened for me and I enjoyed it the more I did it. I do this p/t working solo and work full time at a day job, and manage 30 accts. As far as how much financing in the beginning, that really didn't apply. I used the mowers that I already had at the time and they seemed to do ok. Overtime the accts and customers started coming more freely through word of mouth and advertising. As far as equipment now, whew, a whole slew of stuff... Extended length Stihl Hedger, stihl chainsaw, shindaiwa trimmer, 48" Z Toro, 60" Z Toro, 36" WB Toro with sulky, 2 21" Toro Prolines, 21" Honda Commercial, echo trimmer, echo edger,echo p5-755 blower ,echo handheld blower, 7x14 trailer, various handtools. Good luck to you...
  5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I drove lol
    seriously Lots of leg work, Walking the hoods (not gettos), mailers, door hangers and talking lots. Word of mouth is the best advertising
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

oh, guess I should have read it all before I posted.
    Just moved here from another state and noticed jobs here are few and far between. So I thought about what I knew how to do and something everyone needed, lawn mowing. So I went from there, no financing, paid cash for everything to get set up, then just started talking to folks and they inturn talked to. Then did the walking the neighborhoods, mailers and door hangers, ad in the paper. It just keeps growing.
  7. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

worked. worked. worked. learned as i went.

believed. concieved. Achieved!
  8. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Worked for another landscaping company for a couple of years then after learning what not to do I went into business for myself. The guy I worked for after I got out of high school didn't believe in self propelled mowers, said they weren't worth the money. He said why by a blower when you can get a good broom for a fraction of the cost. He went out of business 2yrs after I started my own company. I wander why. I have now been in business for 17yrs and it takes LOTS of Hard work, persistence, patience, quality work, a smart business sense and a loyal and dedicated crew.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

same here..........