how far are you willing to travel to an account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KensLawnCare, Mar 26, 2009.

1. KensLawnCare

KensLawnCare LawnSite Member

i picked up a yard today aprox 23 minutes it took me to drive there about 15 miles according to mapquest

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

not worth it! way too far to drive!

3. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, thats a long ways. Farthest from my house is 2.5 miles. I have 15 within a mile of me.

4. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree that is a bit excessive. Now, on the other hand, if the its in a neighborhood that has the potential for more accounts and by the end of the season and in the beginning of next season to the point where I could spend a day or a half day in that area, then it might be worth it. if theres no potential for more business then its not worth it.

5. KensLawnCare

KensLawnCare LawnSite Member

i do have 5 accounts in the area looking to fill a whole days work

6. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Just work that area hard and it'll be worth it.

Many things aren't "worth it" when you have a full schedule or nearly full schedule. But when you're trying to fill "days" on your schedule it's a whole different ball game.

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I drive around quite a bit. Those are usually the accounts I don't compete with anybody for. So for me, it is worth it.

8. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on the size and volume potential in that area. I drive bit over 30 min for my furthest accounts, but have several in those areas

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

it depends on what she looks like... oops, I mean, what the rest of the neighborhood looks like.

10. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

It depends on the money and if you have any more accounts in that general direction. If you're wasting all that time driving out there for that one single account...probably not worth it. But on the bright side, it might open up more business for you if you play your cards right. Maybe you can get a few more accounts out that way through word of mouth or nieghbors seeing your truck. Then you could make a day out of it and not have so much waste.