How Far Back

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sawdust, Jan 19, 2004.

1. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

How far can you cut yews 4' tall 3' in diameter back with out killing them. Any info would be appreciated.:cry:

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

ive smoked them tight to stumps and they come back.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea you can cut them back hard, i would do it in sept/oct, and i've noticed if they're in shade, it takes alot longer for them to come back

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There pretty tough,just have to watch for disease sometimes when cutting back real hard.

5. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replies. Big help:)

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can do it on a three year basis, that would be the best. Remove 1/3 each year, that way you don't shock them too badly.

If you are serious about cutting back to basically stumps, why not just call Bobcat of Indy, have them deliver an excavator and rip them out completely? Bare ground would look better epicormic sprouting 3 feet in the first year.... To me that just screams complete novice who doesn't know any better.

If you take them out completely, you could re-plant with more appropriate sized plants.

Word of warning though, yews are a complete B*TCH to rip out, stumps and all, especially if they are well established.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a quote from this site.

"Most conifers don't come back from radical pruning. (Yews are one exception.)"

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgot to add that if the yews are 4' tall by 3' wide, chances are that they are either of columnar or pyramidal growth habits, and there is no way you will change that growth habit by radical pruning. They will ALWAYS have that growth habit....

Dan

9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

You can prune them hard, and they WILL live, but will look like absolute dog droppings fo quite some time. I'd take DF's approach, yank em and replace, otherwise live with a scraggly looking stick bush for a year.

10. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

Thank you for all your input. the information at this site is awesome!!