How far do you go???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, Aug 20, 2001.

?

What are your service boundaries?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2001.
  1. Less than 5 miles

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. less than 10 miles

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. less than 15 miles

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. over 15 miles

37 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

What are your service boundaries and how do you justify a long haul?

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

til it screws up your hourly rate like if u travel an hour to make 60 and u only get 60 an hour u lost money so there u go i wouldnt go more then 5 minutes if i had my choice

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Good question Matthew,my answer depends if i leave from work or home.How is the grass in Canton? we have been blessed with rain the last week or so.:blob1:

4. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

Matt, We come to Akron, Canton, Fairlawn area quite often for landscaping. Infact we will be offering lawncare there next season. maby we can give you some good rates if you need someone to do fert for you if you dont do it in house. We could send whatever mowing we get your way. Give me a call if you want to talk.

----Sorry i looked right over your spray equipment in the list. Still, Maby we could help each other out in someway.

5. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

THE TOTAL WEEK I PUT ABOUT 350 TO 400 MILES ON THE TRUCK A WEEK. ON WEDNESDAY I MOW FOR 5 1/2 BUT I'M GONE FOR 8.
    BUT ON THURSDAY I'M GONE FOR 8 1/2 BUT I MOW FOR 7. THE ONES THAT ARE FARTHER A WAY PAY WELL AND ON TIME, DDON'T WANT TO LOSE THEM SO I GO THE DISTANT FOR THE MONEY.:D

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

last year, before redoing my routing, i was doing approximately 200 to 250 miles a day. I look back and wonder how i never saw how much money i was really losing. This year i hve my route down to 60-100 miles a day round trip. I am a much happier owner now.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My entire route for most days is about 20 miles round trip. Most everything is within 10 miles. One day a week the driving is bad, but I should have that under control next year.

8. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I might be holding myself back, but I keep my area limited to less that 8 miles! No one is paying you to drive-YOU ARE! I have turned down alotta business before, but if you can get a nice, tight route, the profits will rise. I did this guy a favor last year. He was a friend of the family who was solo. He had a surgury and needed to take two weeks off. He did a ton of lawns on a 3 street area for an average of $13.00 each. I thought I would lose my rear end. But, I worked 8 hours and went home with a pocket full of $$$. A little better than MY route!!! Just a thought.

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

About 200 miles per week (4 days) round trip...

10. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Matt that is where the guy that say " I won't stop for less then 25 dollars " sometime are missing the boat. It is all in the hourly rate . If you can do 4 yards at 13 dollars each an hour and not move your truck I think would be a lot better than two 25 dollar in an hour. The small yard thing has worked for me and the lowballer can't under cut you.