How Far Do You Push Your DEMO Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Oct 18, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Well today I demo'd an EVERRIDE WARRIOR.
    I was nice to it at first.
    Didn't like it much compared to my Ferris is3000.
    They my buddy though it would be a good idea to see how it worked as a brush hog.

So The deck belt poped off, burnt a little, so we fixed it, then it poped off again, the poor design of the idle pully with no belt springs back and rubbs on the deck guard causing sparks and a very annoying noise.
    so we fixed that and then there was much play in the belt so we figured it's better off just bring it it back to the dealer as is. also with one of the grooves worn out of the belt it would not stay on the pully anyway.
    As a result of the pully hitting the deck guard, the pullie grinded away the top ridge, and grinded a little hole in the deck guard.
    THINK MY DEALER WILL BE MAD TOMMAROW WHEN I BRING IT BACK?

Overall Review of the mower besides that
    bad
    poor traction.
    Hard to turn.
    No gas gadgues.
    narrow wheel base
    don't like the deck lift and hight control
    stiff ride
    poor belt design
    very loud.
    Back fired when shut off, this mower only had 19 hours on it.
    good
    I like how the parking break is built into the controls, kick in when they are open.

^ all of this is a result of being compaired with a Ferris is3000 with same 25 hp kawi motor.

Aside from my problems with it wich i will admit was a result of abuse, i was not thrilled with the mower and do not plan on buying one.

Next plan on demoing a toro

Attached Files:

2. TheKingNJ

more pics of the poor belt design

Attached Files:

• f'd4.bmp
      File size:
      1,006.1 KB
      Views:
    • f'd5.bmp
      File size:
      1,002.2 KB
      Views:
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Yup... he'll be pissed! And you all wonder why your dealer doesnt demo mowers, doesnt give out "loaners" or charges to do so. Go figure.....

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

When we hear about some 16 year old kid cant get a dealer to give him a demo and he cant figure why, maybe you can explain to him why they will tend to shy away from a teen.

JB1 likes this.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Another example. Thanks Brad

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

So when you say "which I'll admit was a result of abuse", are you just admitting it to us OR the dealer?

With the traffic on this site, I'm surprised what people will "admit". Think any of the shop's buddies are on here? Nahhhh.... I wouldn't expect a bill.

Tony,
    Nowhere near New Jersey

7. TheKingNJ

Well not that I will be blame placing tomarrow morning but the my buddy is a very good friend of the owner of the dealer that i demo'd the mower. He even had the bright idea of putting a FOR SALE sign on the mower and putting it infront of his house so when the owner of the shop left his work and passed his house he would see it.(we ruled that out as a bad idea becasue he was see that field being mowed, not like he wouldn't next time he drove buy.) We will ofcouse offer to pay for the belt that was desrtoyed and the pully if needed to be replaced or anything elce. I've spent my share of thousands of dollars there.
    But anyway, what in the world does this have to do with demoing mowers out to teens?

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

All other things aside.... did you ever stop to think that maybe the tension pulley might be flipped over center? Could have been that way to start with or could have sprung over center when the belt hopped off.

You should take a second look at it and the belt routing before returning it.

9. TheKingNJ

yeah i examined it well, i'm not sure.
    I'm no mechanic but i'm no idiot either.
    something was defiantly not right with it. But i sill don't like the design, I think that the pulley should not be able to touch any other part of the mower no matter what is messed up with it. I'm really not to familiar with repairing mowers other that my ferris and that is a whole different design.

10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Quite possibly the fact that your profile lists your age as 19, even though you are the ripe old age of 20 :D.

I think if you are going to demo any thing you run the demo like you owned the item. The question you have to ask yourself is "if I had paid for this mower already would I be treating it like this". I know it's fun to give it the acid test, but IMO when the belt came off the first time you should have known that it was not designed to do what you wanted it to do, time to end the demo and return to dealer.

Your justification, "I've spent my share of thousands of dollars there" is bs, if one of your customers has you do a several thousand dollar install, you obviously won't have a problem if their kid decides to paint the side of your truck, or abuses a piece of your equipment.