1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How far does word of mouth work.....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by twins_lawn_care, Apr 29, 2005.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to share a recent email I received today, which was a nice surprise. I took care of a customers house here in northern Illinois, even though he lived in California. Well, he sold his house. Turns out I get an email from someone in Seattle who knew him, who referred us for service while in California, as he also owns a house in northern Illinois!!!

Kind of odd, but you never know how powerful word of mouth is until you see it in action!

The point of my story... make your company stick in the heads of people, and it will work for you. This past customer was obviously happy with our services, and it came around to get us another one by word of mouth.

Another point, is have your email or website on your business cards. People will email for free anytime, but a call from Seattle may not have happened!

Hope everyone's season is going well.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

True, true, true. Word of mouth is the best!
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In 11 years of this full time, my company has never spent $1 in advertising...all our growth has been referral only.
  4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish we could get to that point. I am certain it is not a quality issue, but our customers just do not make that many referrals no matter how many times we ask/offer rebates.
  5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

85% of my growth this year has been the result of referrals from other contractors and existing customers. Advertising just has not worked for me but the referrals have been coming in at a pace of 2 to 3 per day. I would like to see the referrals double or tripple so I am trying to come up with a way to generate more referrals.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Right now I'm relying on referrals and flyering only streets where I have existing customers. I had a company distribute flyers for me for the past month or so...the response has been nowhere near what it was in the past, maybe only 0.25-0.5%. And of that miniscule percentage, I'm not getting many to sign up.

I agree with the email comment- that's the way communication is headed these days. I love email, I can respond to customer questions at any hour of the day, I hate getting home late and right away having to make several calls before it gets too late.
  7. whiteclifflawn

whiteclifflawn LawnSite Member

When I started I spent in the range of $4000 in ads etc. I might have got my money back, Now I don't do anything but good reliable work, and the biz will come, and you can get more out of each account because they seek you out. that is my opinion.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi twins_lawn_care,

Good post. This is also why it is so hard for new business owners to get a foot hold because word of mouth takes time.