1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How far for a dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Aug 12, 2001.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys that have your dealers out of town, how far is your farthest one? How far would you others go? For example in my town the only good service dealers are JD, Snapper, and Toro. If I can go 50 miles max. but 25 miles min., I can get exmark, DC, grasshoppers.
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

i live near akron ohio so within 15 min i can be at 20 diff. dealers,i wish you were more lucky? i would go with the dealer you feel most confident and sure about, but 50 miles is a long distance, is 50 miles one way or total trip? good luck:p
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I have exmark,toro,scag,honda,lawnboy,ferris,grasshopper,great dane, hustler,stihl,echo,shindaiwa,maruyama,redmax,snapper,briggs,tecumseh,green machine,ariens,kawasaki,bearcat,& more all within 10 mins. from my house!

But no dixie chopper dealers within 85 miles!
  4. i have a number of dealers by me. the closest one is 5 minutes down the road by car, not even. the one i use though is about 25 minutes from here, maybe 30. find one that you are comfortable with and use them, and only them. i find that if you go to more than 1 dealer it causes problems, or you feel awkward. an emergency is 1 thing, but when its a thought out buy, or something that is not "right here right now or i am in trouble" then use them. the guy down the road from me, they are nice i guess, but the prices are higher than anyone else, and they never give anybody a price break.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

My Hustler dealer is about 65 miles one-way (Glen Arm, Maryland). There is a Hustler dealer with 23 miles of home but I don't care for the dealer too much. The dealer I use will pick-up and return my equipment to me. Great people to do business with, too
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, across town or just around the corner is preferred, but 50-60 miles to get the dealer that will take care of you is about right. Anymore than this and your really wasting alot of time among other things!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to a Dixie dealer that was some 60 miles away because he came highly recommended. Since I have had a considerable amount of trouble getting parts from him I will be trying a dealer that is 43 miles away next.
  9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My exmark/shindiawa/redmax dealer is 30 miles away.
  10. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

actually found out it is 74 miles to nearest Dixie dealer. 36 to exmark. 30 to grasshopper and Dixon. Redmax is 15. In town(less than 3 miles) the good dealers carry Toro, Echo, JD, Shihl, and limited Snapper.

We've got Murray and Craftsman too!
    Hustler, Gread Dane are over 100 miles.

What I'm asking is if you like a brand of mower alot but the dealer is long ways away(over 60 miles-one way), is that going to affect decision?