how far is too far to drive to a dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, May 17, 2003.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I took a drive yesterday to my closest dane, hustler, bobcat, gravely AND wright dealer.

it was 48 miles--one way.

the point being that he is the closest wright dealer and I wanted to look at the sentar.

otherwise, the other brands I mentioned can all be found in 15-20 miles from home.

is 48 miles too far to go? my closest chopper dealer is 100 mi.:eek:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is only about 5 miles and sometimes (breakdowns especially) that seems too far. 48 miles is way out of the question IMO.
  3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Its really up to you. For me all the above is too far. I deal with Bobcat mowers. Why dealer support!!! I can drive less than a mile to my nearest dealer. I have 8 dealers in about a 10 mile radius. When something breaks we always seem to be close to a dealer. I made the mistake of buying an Echo wacker 3 years ago only to find alot of dealers in my area stopped dealing with them. I was always a Red Max guy. But when Echo came out with the Split Boom hedge trimmer I jumped on it. When that thing brakes down I now travel about 17 miles. I usually call from my cell to make sure parts are available. The one day I forget to bring my cell the wacker brakes down. So I had to go up that way not knowing if they had the part only to hear those famous words " We don't have the part but we can order it" If I were you I would sell that mower and buy a mower that you have alot of dealer support. But if you don't mind driving and being pissed off stick with what you have. Lols and good luck. Travis
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is that 48 miles that takes your 45 minutes, or is it 48 miles that takes you 2 hours???

If you can hop on an interstate and zip there at highway speeds, then thats not out of the question.

My dealer is about 40 minutes away (on a good day) but is only 15 miles away. All back roads.

Why not ask your local dealer to become a Wright dealer?

You never know!
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

48 miles one way is to far.

I want to be at my dealer's door within no longer than 30 minutes.

Both my dealers are within 20 minutes of my home.
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

My closest mower dealer is 14 miles away. During tourist season that can be a hour to two hour drive each way. My mechanic in town keeps a decent supply of things on hand to keep me going. Only shop that has a repair facilities in town is stihl. Thats a good thing as mine has been nothing but trouble. Don't think I would want to deal with a dealer 48 miles away.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good point. it takes at least an hour and 15 minutes.

this guy has a good stable of work horses but I never have any work up that way.

but I did like the '03 sentar. the regional dealer rep worked on me for about an hour!:D

8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

We go 60 miles one way, another dealer is closer , but he aint accomadating , so its a pleasure to spend money at the other place . Really they U P S parts so its no big deal to us .
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like he should be spending just as much time drumming up new dealerships!
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Our Walker Dealer is a 2 1/2 hour drive from us. I've only been there a couple of times and the machine has only been back twice in 3 years. We keep a supply of belts, shear pins, blades, etc. Nothing major though because we have other machines for back up. They will ship us stuff next day most times and it's never been a problem so far. I spend a lot of time picking out a Dealer before I bought the Walker and I've never needed him yet for any repairs other than a whining hydro.