How far is too far?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiremanDud, Oct 2, 2005.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I just started my business a couple weeks ago. I'm getting calls from my advertising and signs on trucks. I had to turn down a couple people because it was like a 25min. drive. Now that I think about it I don't know if it was a smart choice. What would be the farthest away you would drive for a 20 to 25.00 yard?
  2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

For you, just starting out, I would have to say take anything up to a 30 min. drive.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I am going through the same issue, Last week I turned down 3. I did however recomand a customer to a LCO here from the board...

I just weigh out the expense, Travel time and such,

Then come up with a bottom line of what I would be pocketting and ask meself. Would I work for this ?
  4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

.. yes I would be glad to cut your yard, but it's a little out of my area and with the cost of gas and all, the cut will be $30. What's a good day for you?

that's how I would answer those calls and don't turn down business - add an additional fee if needed.
  5. FiremanDud

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I just hear from other LCO's to stay in one general area because it's going to cost you a lot of money in the long run for gas and such.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Just starting out I would have to think about it. That one lawn could(???) lead to 3-4 in a row. So that 25 min drive could land a few hundred bucks and far exceed the extra fuel cost...
  7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

How about setting up a clause in your advertising stating a service area radius. Anything outside of your regular service area would incur higher charges... just like Lowes or Home Depot or something would do for out of area delivery.

If you find that after getting one yard you end up with five or six CONTRACTED then perhaps you could come up with an expanded service area to include that area, and decrease your price a little. This assumes that you would be servicing all of the accounts in that area in one trip.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 yards that are 22 and 25 miles one way. I add more for the gas and have had no problems from the clients. In the perfect LCO world we all would have 6-7 yards on one street and just drop the gate one time, but its not that way here. BTW, both of the yards I have are 105 and 125 dollar yards. I would not go 50 miles round trip for a 25 or 35 dollar yard. Would take me 12 bucks worth of gas.I have one 40 dollar yard that is 10 miles out of my way and it will be dropped this week because I HATE(had it for 6 years) the yard and it is no longer worth the trip with the gas prices.
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

you have a really good looking set up, just take the out of area jobs and try for more in that area, I have some that I travel a long distance for but, with others added along the way it turned in to a one day route. 1st lawn is 1/2 mile down the road from my house, hit a bunch on the way south and final out 25 miles away. also its nice area to finish the route because it ends right by the closest Tractor Supply store and it seems like everytime I'm down that way I need to pick up something, welding wire or whatever.
    If you do anything like that be sure to have a long chain to lock everything together & lock the trimmers. :D
  10. FiremanDud

Thanks for the Compliment on the setup. Yeah I think Iam going to just get what I can. I can't afford not to at this point and time. I just don't want to drive all over the place but I got to get some more income coming in. I'm putting in a ad in a local paper which only goes to taget areas around where I live. Hopefully I'll see some newbies soon. I guess I'm not that patience.