1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How far is too far?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JMiller08, Jun 21, 2010.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

So i have asked this question before with little response. Im thinking of moving to a very rural area about 40 miles from my current location. Is this a crazy idea to still service my neighborhood that i live in currently or should i start fresh down there? It is a rural area, id say within a ten mile radius there may be 50k people. So whats your guys opinions? And how far are your furthest accounts you service?

2. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

If you have a full day work there sure. If it's worth the trip I don't see why not. I have one place 30-plus miles away but it's a full day work so I go for it.

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Well you have to figure in your costs. Gas, equipment, time that you could be doing something else, etc... And then subtract that from what your making X # of miles away. My furthest acct is about 15 miles out. And
    it's 3 motels owned by the same person. And their all right next to each other.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Well im solo and if i can clear at least 350 a day up here i think it will be worth it. Since i have very low overhead due to having no employees i think it will be doable. When i get larger and go full time im going to look into getting an actual shop about half way between here and my new town so itll be the best of both worlds.

5. bigdodge150

bigdodge150 LawnSite Member

I like in backwoods i guess. I have maybe 50 poeple within a ten mile radius and I drive 30 miles to work every mornin. But on the mowin trip ill round up about 150 miles total and its not that bad I guess it is also the amount of drive time you have. I got lucky and was able to make a loop one atleast every 8-10 miles away and even a two sets of side by sides ( hard to find around here). Id keep them the drive wont get to ya after a while

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

400 miles one way is too far.

True, so long the profit pays the expenses, gtg.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i say yeah if it is one full day of work. if you have to go back there every day well then i dont know.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Come to think of it...

If you're having to ask, chances are it's too far.

9. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

:laughing:

Yup
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Forty miles is not all that far if you have a substantial amount of work there. I'd keep the accounts, then if you build your business in your new location to the point the old accounts are a hassle, give them up.