How far is too far?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

Some people I know (about 5 people) live in an area that's about 50 minutes highway driving from me. Its in a good area and there seems to be some opportunity for decent business growth there. Would it be worth it for that commute? Where I live now there is not a lot of money here what do you guys think?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

If you charge for it, its worth it
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

That would mean losing about two hours per day driving. You'll have to weight the driving time to the money you'll make while their. Doesn't seem reasonable to me. Wish you good luck though.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm in a similar situation. 7 solid customers about 45 minutes away. I really want to replace them with something closer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Got a apartment complex 45 mon away and I figures driving time in on price. Nice to be paid while sitting in the ac

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had the same problem for the last 4 yrs. Good customer's, paid good, everything was great. I made a decision not to leave the county I live in and I replaced the 5 with 8. With drive time the 5 took all day and It was in my price for them. I couldn't be happier.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

How far is too far?

How many customers on your route?

How many days of work do you have?

How many hours a week do you work?

How much money are you going to make serving those 5 people?

Depending on your answers and until I hear them I can not say whether those jobs are to far away or near enough.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I can count on one hand the number of times my mowing rig has even been on the highway. I like to keep it local.

I guess it really depends on how much of a difference there is in what you can get paid. Be sure to figure the actual cost of driving that 50 miles, not just fuel cost. The real cost of a 100 mile round trip commute is probably on the order $150 to $200 when you consider vehicle maintenance/depreciation and lost revenue from being in the truck rather than working.

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

The furthest we travel is about an hour. We send two crews and have a full day of work. We also make in one day travelling what we gross mowing locally over 2.5 days.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If you need the accounts Id probably do it. 100 miles round trip equals about 40$ in fuel so keep that in mind.

You can add accounts inbetween so thats a hudge plus.