How far is too far????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deere ZTR, Jun 30, 2003.

1. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

How far is to far to drive for business?? Twenty miles? Thirty miles? All this on the assumption that you could mow in at area all day. How far does everyone drive?

2. I wont drive 20 minutes for a short visit account, but I will drive 30 miles or minutes if the work is there for most of the day.

I am bidding a job that is about an hour away, they will be there for 8 hours each visit.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we drive about 25 miles for our furthest account. But of course we raise the price to cover the difference

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have to admit that I do drive upto 50 miles 1 apartment complex is 50 miles another is 38 miles and another is 20 thats all 3 of them to the west of me in a day over 500 gross. Then I have one to the south 17 miles 175.00 2 hours mowing and 3 down another highway 20 miles for 250.00 3 hours mowing. They are part of a 14 complex contract.

Jim

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I drive 10 minutes to get into town, and that's it. Most of my stuff is all in Ann Arbor, and I group everything together in neighborhoods. I won't even go outta town to do estimates.

:D

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Farthest one is 7 miles from the house. I think a more pertinent question is how much time are you willing to drive. This week if I serviced this account on normal day the travel time would be about 3 or 4 hours.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This year, my furthest drive is 6.54 miles away.

Previously I had a long 16.30 mile drive that took about a half hour (I was there for 3hrs mowing). That customer found that it was cheaper to mow it himself.

Most of mine are withen about a 2.5 mile radius.