How far off am I on this bid guys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victor, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

A lady from a church called me today, requesting a quote, so I went out, to see what kind of account it would be. There were 4 buildings on the property of the church. One building was the church, one was an office, one was an elementary school, and the last was a daycare center. The property had 10 lawns of varying sizes, and shapes that added up to 80,154 sq ft (I'd be using my 52" Lazer HP to cut this, and would be working alone). The lady requested that if I am awarded the bid, that I not cut while services are going on, nor anytime on Sundays. She also requested that I not cut when a funeral is held there. I personally wouldn't want to be out there cutting when the little kids are out for recess. There would be a lot of liability there. If I didn't have to worry about the kids from the schoool, there would still be the kids from the daycare center to avoid getting close to. There were 3 areas that were about 15,000 sq ft, and a few others that were around 8,000 sq ft. The rest were smaller areas around 20 by 40 feet. There weren't many standing obstacles to worry about. In a really open big lot, that was one large peice of grass, I'd charge $1 per 1000 sq ft. On this bid I was thinking more along the lines of $200 for the 80,154 sq ft. Everything considered, what would you guys bid, or would you run in the other direction? Thanks in advance.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Enjoy working saturdays or evenings? lol, i have a private school with similar requirments, but only about 60K turf. I get $150 per cut because i have to deal with their time frame. I think you are right in line.

3. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Church props are a bit difficult because most of them want it cut on Friday so it is good to go for weekend services. What makes this one even more difficult is the school and d.c. center because they will be in session on Friday. You may have to try to bust it all out early Saturday mornings when no one is around? How long do you estimate it will take you to service?

4. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

Make sure you have enough insurance, before you bid. How long do you think it will take you. Also, when do you plan on cutting it. Churches are a real pain in the *****, bid accordingly.

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the smae position, school kids, services on tuesday saturday and all day sunday and they want it cut twice a week if the grass is long enough which averages out to about ever other week a double cut. With time restrictions and the amount of area (210,000 sq. ft) it is a tough property. I hate to charge to much also being a church and all, not to mention I belong to the church.

6. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I've never done a property like this one before, with so many islands of grass, and especially one that was so spread out. I'd estimate that I could have it done in 2 hours, since the Lazer would do save a lot of time. That's just a guess though.

Vic

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I would say you are probably a little high, but it may be fine for your area ! I hope you don't have to bag that !