1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How far out will you go for a job?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We just spent this week doing a few jobs about an hour away, we lumped them together to save on travel time, but it doesn't always work this way. I don't think we are going to make money on them.

How far out do you guys go? We usually cover two towns that are 15 miles apart, but occasionally go farther east or west.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I hate travel time (unless I can bill somebody for it) - trying to stay one area often collides with the customers' friends/relatives another town or two away. Worth doing because it's a 'pre-sold' job, but it sure burns up that three-dollar gasoline.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Heck... in your area I'd get on the ferry and leave the country for Victoria if the price was right. :waving:
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The price would have to be right :) That ferry would charge us around $150 round trip for two trucks and two trailers.

Then you have 3 hours of unbillable travel time.

Then you have to deal with the whole not licensed for canada thing :)

However, that ferry is awesome for the occasional friday night my wife and I feel like going out and having a few brews in a little more exciting location :)

Small world Hayes....what brought you out to PA?
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe for an extended system they'd put you up on the island? That'd be a kick. Of course the company would need to have all the permits, etc. already in place.

It is an enjoyable ride.

Vacation initially in the late 70's, again in the 80's. Then my stepson was stationed in Port Angeles for the Coast Guard from 2000-2003. He and his wife lived first in PA and then in Sequim. Now he's stationed in Alameda.