How far south can you stripe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buckeye1, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Just wondering how far south you can go and still stripe grass? It is my understanding that some “Southern” grass won’t stripe. Can the grass types in South Carolina and Georgia be striped with an Exmark roller? Anyone in SC or GA have any experience with an Exmark roller?

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I from northeast OK and the lco's around here never worry about stripes for one the lawns that are fescue right now unless your watering an inch a day are brown because of the heat. Bermuda lawns don't stripe, zoysia lawns will a little most are mowed so short that they don't stripe that well. I Started my first lco in mar. 1986 been back in the biz. since 1998 never heard of stripes until I found lawnsite people around here don't care. :)

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

T.E. is correct. Here in Oklahoma I never see striping. I recently went to Kansas City and noticed beautiful stripes on most properties. We just dont have the best grass type for that here. Oh well, one less thing to worry about.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Well, deep deep deep in the south, noone know what stripes are, until you mention "You know, like a baseball field" ' Ahhh '

Well that's all about to change, even if I have to PAINT them on my lawns. I want my jobs to stick out like a fart in church. Going to be tough because most of our grasses are centipede and St. Aug. Where there's a will....( I want to be in it) hehe

~Nest

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Our Lesco mowers can stripe St. Austine and Bahia. One day Ill take pics.

6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I live in north carolina and I can stripe every lawn I have.No roller or chains just double high lifts.

7. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

LL&L - Is the grass types in NC the same as those in SC and GA??

8. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

Could i stripe in fl?

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

From what ive read on here i guess you can stripe until you hit the gulf of mexico. When you get there you might want to stop.

10. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

I'm in Wichita, KS. There is striping here but not from rollers...at work we will go the same stripe each week with our walkers to get our stripe. Some lawns you can put an awesome stripe on every week no matter which way you go with it. Then again, some lawn won't stripe at all.

Just depends.