how far to park

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steverino, May 30, 2001.

1. steverino

steverino LawnSite Member

I have two jobs where the parking is just terrible. I often end up having to park 100 yards away from the house. Anybody have similar woes?

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Nope. I wouldn't want my equipment that far away from me.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Steverino, can you put in your location (STATE) in your profile? If you don't know how, email me your location and I'll put it in your profile for you.

4. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Steverino
    I usually just park on the street and put out safety cones.
    Dennis

5. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

I WOULD PARK IN THERE ON THEIR LAWN BY WHERE I AM MOWING . IT MIGHT MAKE YOUR CUSTOMER MAD , BUT ITS A VERY BID GAMBLE TO LEAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT UNATTENDED, ITS JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK OF HAVING YOUR EQUIPMENT STOLEN. ITS A CRUEL WORLD OUT THERE.

6. If there's not reasonble parking near the site, you might want to think about dropping the account. Unless of course you build in the extra walking time into the cost of the job.

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar parking dilemna, it was at the house I wrote about in the thread "the hood, an idiot" I had to drop the account. I have also passed on estimates where I knew right away parking was an issue.

I have seen others back their rigs onto the driveway of the residence they are mowing. If you do this, make sure the owner is not scheduled back for some time.

8. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I have a few accounts that live off of busy streets with no where to park, so I just pull up in their driveway. It is the best I can do without leaving my equipment too far from me. All the other accounts I just park on the street in front of the house and put out my safety cones.I would never let my equipment get that far out of sight. Too many thieves in this world!! :rolleyes:

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Steverino, depending on what type of mowers you run, you might want to consider a trimmer holder for a Z if you have one. After you mow, the trimmer is already with you.

10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Had this problem many times over the years. Over the last year, I've phased out all such problems. As stated previously, equipment is just too expensive to leave too far out of sight, and there's better parking on that new lawn up the road you haven't gotten yet!

-TGC