How far to travel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NothingRunsLikeADeere, Mar 3, 2012.

1. NothingRunsLikeADeere

NothingRunsLikeADeere LawnSite Member
    from Ms

How far do you guys travel to mow? Like how far will you travel to mow 1 yard every two weeks?

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My rule is- I don't leave my county. North to South drive time is about 40 min, West to East about the same. It just wasn't worth it.

3. NothingRunsLikeADeere

NothingRunsLikeADeere LawnSite Member
    from Ms

i got a call the other day and the yard is 2 miles over the county line.. which was about 50 miles for a 100 account just wondering if it was worth it

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what you drive, but lets say you can get 15mpg while carrying you machines. Where I am gas is $3.96 a gallon, so I would have spent $26.40 in gas before even dropping the trailer gate. When you factor in the time that was spent driving there and back, there is no way i would go that far for a $100 lawn.

5. Salcido Lawn

Salcido Lawn LawnSite Member

My crews travel up to 140 miles, one way. But that is for a group of yards. I won't travel very far for just 1 yard. Unless, it pays very well!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I drive about a half hour for my furthest lawn. The couple are millionaires and I bank on the lawn, plus I have accounts on the way. I'm trying to get their neighbors this year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

0 miles. New policy last year no bi-monthly mowings. =D

8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

One day a week I travel 60 miles to my accounts. I am there all day, 10-12 hours. I usually have 10 full days of other maintenance work there in a season also.

9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I live in a populated area so I dont travel more than 20 miles for any maintenance work. I am lucky enough to have a pretty tight route and with gas prices on the rise, I would like to keep it that way. As I grow I might go a bit further for big commercial accounts, maybe 30 miles. I will also go further for an installation, 40 miles max.

So unless you can add it to an existing route that heads in the same direction, I would just let it go.

10. torotorotoro

torotorotoro LawnSite Senior Member

if its not on existing rout i cant do it. anything more then 5 minuts away i am not interested.