How far to work?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Feb 1, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Just wondering how far everyone drives to the job site?

How far is it to the area where the bulk of your work is?

How far will you travel for work on average?

The bulk of our work is approx 20-25 miles from my house ("the shop") and our supplier is directly half way between. We really dont do any work any further than say 50 miles. 80% of our work is in the same general area.
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Previous to this year most of my work has been within 10-15 miles of my house. A couple of jobs with in 5 miles.

But now that i am doing the pools i have to travel. Seems like i will be working anywhere from 30 miles to almost 200 miles from home. On the 200 miles jobs i will include hotel cost in the bid. I just do not know how the heck i am going to compensate my workers for having to stay at a hotel.

I am sure as hell hoping i remember to pack everything in the enclosed trailer before i head to the other end of the state!

3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

for my own company I walk about 22' out to my trucks. Most of our work is within 15 miles from my house/yard and the majority is within 5 miles. For the new company I am working for I have to drive about 3 miles to the shop and most of the work is within 20 miles. here on LI we have it good. its very condensed around here and the wealthiest areas are on the north shore, which is where I live. so you can make a very nice living from the queens line to smithtown which is about 30 miles.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We'll work anywhere.

But typically won't travel more than 1.25 hrs away.

I measure our service area by TIME, rather than milage. As in the DC Metro area, with rush hr traffic, it can take 40 minutes to go 20 miles.
  5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

We usually have about a 30 min drive. I remember one year after moving from the house i had lived in for 6 years the neighbor across the street deiced he was finally ready to do something with his yard. Great last year i could have walked to his housein the morning, now it's a 45 min drive. That's life.
  6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Most of our jobs are within 15 miles of the office. On larger commercial jobs we will go up to 100 miles away.
  7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

60 miles is the farthest we will travel most work is in 20-25 miles with larger jobs 35 miles away
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If it is a homeowner that calls out of the blue, we won't travel more than 30 minutes from the shop. If it is a contractor, we go where ever and when ever they want.
  9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to keep 5-10 mile radius on all my jobs but have done a few further then that and made it worth my while to do so
  10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Starting next month my trucks, trailers......"stuff" will be about 7-8 miles away (15 minutes).

Suppliers are anywere from 1/4 mile away to 25 miles.

I work anywhere from the property on which I rent to 35 miles away......prob the furthest I've traveled. Depending on the job at hand will determine how far I'll travel. Money is green!

Travel time is anywhere from 0 minutes to 1.5hrs depending on traffic.