How far will you drive to mow a lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by monoshock, Jul 1, 2013.

?

How far would you travel "one way" to mow?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2013.
  1. 3 miles

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. 5 miles

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. 10 miles

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. 15 miles

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  5. 20 miles

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. 25 miles and over

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took over a lawn mowing account where the man before me was driving 75 miles one way to mow. :eek:

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Like no other accounts in his route? My longest account a hour 15 min from my place. The longest drive in my route is 15min and everyone on that route pays 50 percent more for me mowing over my other lawns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. monoshock

I drive about 20 miles for this job, but I have two others within 3-4 miles of it.

4. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not to say I wouldn't drive more than 3 miles, but it would have to really be worth it. Almost all of mine are within 1/2 mile. I have a cluster that are maybe 2 miles. And another few grouped together about 8 miles, and I took one only because it was a friend of my wife's, and I didn't want to drive all the way out there for just one, so I picked up a handful of others in the neighborhood to make it worth my while.

5. JCLawn and more

from MI

That's the way most of my stuff are. Drive 10-20 miles and you have 5 all in a couple miles of each other. Except my thurdays, I drive 150-200 miles in one day, but all of those customers pay insane prices because they can't find anyone else.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. monoshock

I had a bank forclosed house last year I drove an hour an 15min, but I charged them $125 each mowing, the mowing only took about 35-40 mins. They couldn't find anybody that wanted to do that one.

7. JCLawn and more

from MI

Ya the one that's farthest away is $100 for an acre and its a business. Sometimes they have me do other things and I am firm on $60 a hour even if I am just pulling weeds. They tell me, "I don't care how much it cost, just get it done". Its turned into my cash cow lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. monoshock

Cash cows are good Thumbs Up

9. monoshock

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

Haha wow
    Posted via Mobile Device