1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how far will you go, to retain a client?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 28, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

years back, i was working a full time job, with massive overtime. AND trying to build a client base for my lawn service. needless to say, the light on the answering machine was ALWAYS blinking. it got to the point where i wouldn't even call them back anymore. whoever could "ride out the storm" and stay with me, became my steady clients , others cancelled, and understandably so. the overtime at my full time job was mandetory, and without notice, no way around getting people mad at me. i had a few customers who had become irate at one point, and i was sure i was on the verge of losing them. when i went to thier house to mow, i knew they'd be out the door screaming, and i was out of excuses. what did i do? i showed up wearing a neck brace. told them i was in an accident. thier anger turned to pitty, and i was able to keep them. how far will you go?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'll go pretty far, dont' know about faking whiplash though. Unless I suspect the customers trying to take advantage of me, I'll try to do whatever they want.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Another stupid thread justifying your customer service issues.

I don't have to go anywhere to keep a client, I guess I need to take some of your GREAT knowlege and put it to use as you do so I can have these conflicts also. My life is just too boring , I don't have any BS to write about.

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

:p

I give it 25 posts before its closed !

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I pay someone to go in and do a home invasion robbery in their house and then I show up with a lawnmower and handcuffs and take the perps to jail. it makes customers for life.

GEO :dizzy:

6. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

if the customer really likes you and you do good work, then i dont think you have to go to that extreme.usely a phone call would work,thats how i run my buisness!

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't try to keep mine.. You don't like my schedule or my work, find somebody else.. I won't waste my time for a PITA who expects everything for cheap, so I let them cancel or I drop them and I move on, usually signing up a better paying customer within a day or two (most of the good ones are referral customers)..

8. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I would never advocate being dishonest with customers,doing lousy work or continually showing up late,but...if you want to build a really successful business you have to spread yourself thin in order to find out what you're capable of doing.I don't see anything wrong with stretching the truth a little from time to time(e.g.,mower broke down,everyone out sick,grandma died,etc.) in order to keep a client from getting angry and firing you.
    Most,if not all,successful business owners have to "talk" their way out of trouble from time to time,IMHO.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Then why you wasting time and bandwidth with a response? Your life must be boring but you just wrote a bunch of BS.

Mac

10. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely am late mowing a yard, so it's hard to relate to your situation but man......that is really freaking hilarious. Wrong, but hilarious. Just thinking about it cracks me up.