1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How far will you go?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLP Lawn, Mar 20, 2005.

1. PLP Lawn

PLP Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

This is my first post but I have been doing research on this site ever since started. This site rocks thanks all. I'm adverting several miles away trying to get away from the pigs of this business. How far is too far? If I could keep one crew in an area all day but it's 1 - 1.5 hours with traffic away (residential) is it worth it? How far will you go to make a buck? Or money talks, if the money is good will you go even further?
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

In truth only you can decide that. But if you can keep a crew busy the entire day in a location and pay for the drive time involved then absolutely it is worth it. Lots of bigger guys to that.

driving an hour to do an hours worth of work each week is crazy. Drving an hour to do 8 hours worth of work with little drive time once there is nothing. You just did all your driving at once as opposed to 10-15 minutes at a time.
  3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

one big company here has 3 offices. one is here, one an hour away, and one 2.5 hours away. if it rains here they drive south if it's not raining there and help the crews there out.
  4. PLP Lawn

PLP Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I think it should work only if there for the whole day. Even with the rising costs of fuel. I won't resign next season if there's not enough business out there. Thanks for the replies.
  5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

My farthest one is 18 miles. I will do that one and work my way back. I can not and will not give up this property even if there was nothing in between to be done. It is just worth too much money for me on a year round basis to do away with. They are however, trying to get me lots of work in the area. They took me door to door and introduced me to their friends last year and when they return they will do it again. They want to see me succeed and will do whatever they can to see that I do.
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't u hire a crew that lives there. Then you wouldn't need to pay them windshield time.
  7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't want anyone touching their yard but me. Help is very hard to find around here and good help is near impossible. I am also a solo gig. Besides their lawn, I do handyman work for them, snow removal and caretake for them while they are away. I never know what will be on my list when I get to their house. Lawn for one person is at least 3 hours. I am sometimes their for 4-6 hours. Some weeks I have to schedule another day to go out and putts around doing odd things. Average the past three years was 8-12 hours a week at their place.
  8. rather be mowin

rather be mowin LawnSite Member

Hey PLP ,

What part of the province are in? I am looking at starting this year PT but have had the same debate with myself about travelling to other areas.

I'm in Niagara area