How Far Will You Travel To Cut A $40 1/4 Acre Lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Apr 23, 2011.

?

How Far Will You Travel To Cut A $40 1/4 Acre Lawn?

1. 0, Don't cut lawns that cheap

1.3%
  2. 1-3 mile(s)

12.7%
  3. 3-5 miles

26.6%
  4. 5-10 miles

26.6%
  5. 10-15 miles

22.8%
  6. 15+ miles

10.1%
  1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

How far will you travel one way inorder to cut a single 1/4 acres property for $40 a week? Just curious how far other guys are willing to travel to cut a single property, the high gas prices have me asking myself this question more and more.

2. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

depends if we are in expansion mode...if we do not have any properties in the area but want to have some, we would drive a bit further because we know within a month we will have a couple more properties there............if not we do not renew

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Once again we are at that crossroads with folks thinking they can snub certain customers over others all in favor of that
    proverbial profit, all the while forgetting not only the economy and the past several years, but also what and who got us here.

40 dollars is a lot of money kid, what do you want, top dollar for unskilled labor, too?

Now I won't say drive any distance, but at least 5 and really up to 10 miles, hell 40 dollars is 5-10 dollars over what most folks
    in my necks will pay without us pulling teeth so you're getting paid for driving, granted it ain't much but then driving isn't hard work?

You do what you want but I have watched a big new car dealership buckle and almost crack under the resulting pressure,
    it's more like they almost went out of business for trying what you're thinking of doing and they even changed their name
    after 20+ years and they're hardly the only ones... I've been there too so unless you have one great tolerance for lack of
    work and you can deal with going hungry every day for a number of years, I am guessing you can figure out what my
    suggestion would be.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

do what u have too do. i would do it, you might get more work in that area? 40 is better than nothing.

5. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well I guess I would have to travel outside Florida because nobody here is getting $40 for a quarter acre. I seriously wish that I could charge what some of you guys do - I would be rolling in the $$$$$:laugh: But alas, I have to live with the reality that if I quoted anyone in the greater metro Orlando area $40 for 1/4 acre they would laugh in my face. At that price every single customer I have would drop me in an eyeblink.

6. rkeguy

rkeguy LawnSite Member

Since I am just starting up and need the money pretty badly I'd travel 5-10 miles for a $40 dollar job. It depends on the market and how bad you need the money. I just did a 5500 sq ft job for $25 which was 7 miles from my house, and won the bid on a 14,500 sq ft property for bi-weekly service at $62 and the house is 8 miles away from me. I like to think I'm in the middle range for my pricing compared to others in my area. I only have a few accounts but I haven't had a customer yet bargin down the price.

After giving one customer my price they asked if I used my own equipment, so little confused about that one. I carry my business license and copy of insurance policy in my clipboard but have not had any customers ask to see them.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on the type of driving my jeep or yukon xl can go 15 to 20 miles on a gallon. That's $4 there. $4 back. A 1/4 acre is going to use another $2 gas in the equipment.

To make $30 it would be worth it.
    That's another $840 at the end of the season, plus the potential for extras: aerate, fall seeding, fall clean up, fert, lime, etc.

The big "if ?"

Operating at capacity?

Operating below capacity?

Area want to expand into?

Area don't want to expand into?

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It costs me .27 per mile to operate my truck when gas is $3.69. I don't travel outside my county. $40 sounds good to me.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

First in bold, sounds like your prices are on the low side. If you're getting every job chances are, your pricing is too low and you're leaving money on the table.

Bold #2, you probably will never have a residential customer ask you for proof of insurance/business license. Even a lot of commercial places won't bother asking.

I drive over 30 miles to cut one place for $50 a week. The thing is, I do a ton of other work for them that more then makes up for the distance driving.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I voted for 3 to 5 miles but it depends where it is too. Some areas are kind of congesting around me in the summer since I'm down on the shore, so I avoid some areas entirely. Not only can it be time consuming to get there, once you get there parking with a trailer becomes an issue.