How far would you travel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LWNMWR1, Mar 27, 2003.

1. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

getting calls from people that are 15 miles out or so. how far is too far? any thoughts

2. Dan's lawn care

Dan's lawn care LawnSite Member

I would think if you can make enough to make worth going out that far it should be ok.

3. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

I agree, no distance is too far if it's worth it to you! Be sure to consider all factors(mileage,gas,time,etc.) before you place a bid though!

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You need to keep your route tight to keep it profitable or else you need to get several customers that are within the same area to make the drive time worth while.

Gravely_Man

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

15 miles is not a big deal at all IMO.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I did a cleanup for a guy who was maybe 10-15 minutes away from in town (kind of too far IMO) and he wanted an estimate on the lawn and I just told him that I could only do it if he could get a couple of his neighbors to do it also because I told him $30 for his and that was a corner lot so if a normal lot there his neighbors might be $25 each so it would take say $80 to get me up there, otherwise it's not worth it I could be doing 2-3 jobs in the time it takes me to go to his place, do it and come back. Look at it that way what's your time worth anyway?
    :alien: :dizzy: :blob4: :cool:

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i have customers that are 15 miles away,and i make the estimate worth it to travel,don't go for 2-3 customers then it's not worth it.

8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Yo Barre Guy!

I have relatives in Barre! Man, that is hilly country! I haven't been there in a few years though.

Go to where the money is at. If the customer 15 miles out is in a promising area, then go for it and try to develop it with more customers.

But to go 15 miles out for one small lawn, it wouldn't be worth it. If you get that customer, you have to make a commitment to get more out there.

I've been to Barre many times. It is way different there compared to the Philly area.

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

In my market area, I have a large cluster of properties about 9 miles away. Everything else is much closer to home.

Driving time adds up. It's best if you are able to keep travel time minimal.

10. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

hey who do ya know?? small world here.