How far would you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Merlin300, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

How far would you drive to go to a good dealer? I am looking to get a Wright stander. The local dealer is about 6 miles away. The next closest dealer is about 50 miles away.

The local dealer, I wouldn't let them scrape my deck let alone service my machine. Would you go to the farther away one? (good dealer)
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

The dealer I use the most is over an hour away. Some people think this is a bad deal, but when I need something the have it.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

depends on how far you want to go for repairs
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

u cant put a price on great service!!
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer does
  6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If you are running your own equipment, you probably wont ever need the dealer as long as you are capable of changing your own oil and making adjustments. These machines seldom break down unless abuse comes into play. And note that I said seldom as opposed to never.
  7. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

That's true. Belt changes, tires, little stuff you don't need a dealer for. Local auto parts store has all my belts in stock or can get them next morning.

There's a dealer 1/4 mile from me and another 2 miles down the highway. I buy from one 50 miles away because I hate the local guys.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I once bought a mower from a shop 120 miles away b/c they had a 24 hour commercial turnaround policy.

WHAT A MISTAKE. They took me to the cleaners, kept my mower for weeks, charged me for warranty work.... and NEVER solved the mower's problem.

So be careful.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Seems I always have a problem with employees, they jsut dont take care of the equiptment as well as I do, I jsut dont understand how things get broken and they cant seem to explane it to me.

I do my own oil changes and minor repairs, to be honest I dont ever return to my dealer after a purchase, I did have an issue with an adjustment on a belt that keep breaking and when I addressed it to my dealer he jsut said I dont know...." GREAT HU?"

thanks for posting
  10. Mow N GO 06

Mow N GO 06 LawnSite Member

Guys, Build a good relationship with your dealer. He is human just like you are. Start by buying a little at a time with him/them. Learn their names, don't ***** about his 2-cycle oil prices (it went up BIG TIME), take some blades by there for sharpening, buy a couple of oil filters and some oil, ask him questions about new products coming out, ask him what he recommends, etc, etc. etc. Ask home to speak to his Service Manager. Get a feel for him and the service they can provide. If you get a good feeling about all that, buy something small like a hand blower, (don't beat him down on price) because there is NO ROOM to move. Come back, buy a cheap string trimmer (again NO ROOM to move) so don't even ask. Bring in your chainsaw for annual service, ask how long until it is ready? 2 days MAX should be the answer. Next, Just stop in while on your route and hang out for a bit, talk about anything except business (like last Tuesday nights MLB All-Star game) for an example. Nothing negative (like fuel prices) He is feeling it as much as you are and more in some cases. Then, ask him for a demo piece. Buy a roll of trimmer line (again, dont ask for discount) Ask him for a demo of a piece of equipment you are interested in. See how that goes...(maybe will fly or not, depending on brand and dealer) If not, don't slam the door. It might be just strictly economics. Next, buy a set of blades from him, don't ask price just pay for them up front. A few days later, bring in a chain and blades for sharpening (I know you can do that, but listen up) If you are in a bind and in a hurry that service is PERFECT. You can tell alot from that dealer from his willing to do it on the spot. Again, don't ask price, Just Sharpen It. Buy a Pepsi from the machine a wait. Talk BS with the Sales People. Not about mowers though (just in case they happen to be on commission). Blades sharp, leave....Next week, call the dealer and put in an order for air-filters, fule filters and spark plugs (service items) you will need and use them quickly, Again, don't ask price (Yes I know you can get cheap aftermarkets cheaper online, but bare with me..there is a point). Go to pick them up. You will learn two things by then......(If parts are on counter and ready to go) will learn he cares about about you and your business and he will be ready for you if your equipment fails. At that point, although you have only bought actually nothing from him, he thinks of you as a valued customer.

Now, for the big one...You have been there done that with all the other dealers and feel this is the right guy to do business with you need or want a new mower. Ask for a demo. Do your homework up front, Shop the price and brand online and have a good idea in your mind what you are willing to spend. Pick out the EXACT unit you want and ONLY ONCE ask for his best price. NOT TWICE, NOT THREE TIMES. Only ONCE. If he is within $400 of your known best price BUY FROM HIM. The average margin in any dealership in the United States for any Commercial Z is $600.00. Some $500 and Some $700, but the average is $600. So let him make his margin, he has a target margin just as you do to stay in business.

Should any LCO pay Full MAP Pricing for any Commercial Z? Absolutey Not!! There is a large magin at MAP Pricing. Should any dealer sell a Commercial Z for less than $600 profit? NO WAY!! If you beat hime down and keep beating him down on price, you will become a secondary customer that DOES NOT get premium service. Blades sharpened in lets say 3 days. Zero Down-Time are non-existent. 24hr Service is unheard-of.

If you build a good relationship with your dealer, good things will happen. Remember that 2-cycle oil you didn't ***** about? Remember that oil filter you didn't as for a discount on? You just saved 10%. And you had a failure today and you are mowing tomorrow!!

The dealer is as human as you are, learn some tact when entering the dealership and you will succeed.