How fast are you compared to your peers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

This is a survey for those who maintain small residentials. Job includes mow, trim, edge & blowing of concrete, including drives, walks, porches, patio's etc. Please only respond if you use a 21in and or 36in walkbehind.

Answers should be in minutes from door slam to door slam.

1. 500sq to 2000 sq. ft lawn

2. 2000sq. to 4000 sq. ft. lawn

3.4000 to 6000 sq. ft. lawn.

4. 6000 to 8000 sq. ft. lawn

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

15 min. to 1/2 hour. For all the sizes because with out the feet of trimming or pavement to blow or # of trees or hills or gates or feet of edging it is to hard to answer any closer than that.

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I wouldnt go by time, id go by how they look when your done. Thats whats important.

4. dishboy

from zone 6

Ok let's say for this discussion lets say your anal and you don't leave until your 97% satisfied.

5. dishboy

from zone 6

Can you give average numbers that reflex your average lawn in each size?

For instance I have a number of yards that are around 8 K that take a average 50 minutes each, but I edge and trim everything so a guy who only trims will be faster. Everything between 5 and 10 K seems to take 45 to 55 minutes.

My small yards up to 3 K take around 20 to 30 minutes.

My next size yard 3 to 4 K take 35to 47minutes, the longer time requiring both mowers.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

----"My small yards up to 3 K take around 20 to 30 minutes."---

The difference between those two numbers is 50% That could make or break a company. I think that all the variables need to be accounted for in your estimate. The best way to come up with a time/pricing (which I think you are trying to do) is to just mark off a certian area and time yourself. This will take a lot of time. My first year I spent learning how to do things right and with good production. The next 2 years I spent timming so I could price better. We are still adjusting.

As far as your times I would want to be off the lot a little sooner.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

This one takes about 2 minutes but we cheat with a 60" Lazer on it ;->

8. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

Are these times listed one man crews?

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

This monster takes longer to pull up n drop the gate than to do .... even with a 42" Walker .... don't own a push mower n the 36" is only used on gated backs which to fit .... but it's a hydro so it would cut this in bout 4 minutes .... n at $20 per cut total yearly hours is less than 11 hrs for $840 which is a nice $76 per hr ;->

10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

20$ for that, im heading south!