How fast can ya move in?

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, May 13, 2001.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have been working on a snow removel bid for a National Company for next winter. One of the questions was how fast can you get your equipment on site. This question was asked to find out how fast they would be serviced if a suprise event arrived. They also asked how the equipment was transported.

In all my years, I have never had a question like that on a bid form.

Is this crazy? How would you guys answer the question.

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

When it snows we're there!

How's that?
  3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Thats easy to say, when the only thing ya need to move is a pick up.

However, what happens when an a freak storm arrives in late october early november? And your 25000 LBs loader is at the shop being serviced? Snow pushers are sitting around the shop, not delivered to the site, because there is nothing on site to unload them with.

Think about it that way.

BTW all our equipment is on site by November 15th. most years thats fine, however a few years ago we got 18" on the 13. 75% of our equipment was on site, the rest was moved in at the last min.

4. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

If you are working within your service dates, then response time would be in line with the ability to forsee the storm.

Out of your normal service dates, me thinks that you can talk in generalities, unless they want to essentially pay you standby time or some other premium. Looking at the extreme, if it were to snow on July 1, and your riggin' is in the next town on a utility job, would they subject you to a penalty for not showing up within 2 hours?

If they are concerned about service for the out-of-season events, then I think it is only fair to extend the season. You must make equipment utilization choices then that have a financial impact on you, regardless if it snows or not. Hope this helps.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at it this way. You establish service dates in line with most winters. You should be prepared at that time. If you were to get a freak storm earlier then chance are that the town or city would also be unprepared and most likely there would be major delays and shutdowns for a short time. If the roads aren't clear and no one is driving there is not a huge rush is there? Just my opinion.