How fast can you cut an acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Herrick, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to do some research into actual productivity numbers. A lot of the ones listed on the manufacturer's website's seem inflated. Maybe we can get some real-world numbers.

For this situation we'll use a square 1 acre of flat to gently rolling ground, maybe a ditch on one side. 10-12 tree's to avoid, as well as a house and a garage. Let's say mowing only, no trimming or edging.

Please list mower type and size for reference.

On my little 48" Z425 this would probably take me about 40-45 minutes.
  2. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

...funny, you just described my yard and mower to the "T". It take me 20 min. to mow. (even down to the Trees, 11 trees).
  3. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

What are you mowing with that can mow an acre with a house and trees to go around in 20 mins? I'm not saying it cant be done, just wondered what you were using to accomplish this. :weightlifter:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

About 45 minutes with my 48", 32-33 with the 60" Z, 8 trees, and a fence on one side.
    I used to say an hour cut and trim, but today I figure at least an hour to do a good job.
  5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

With my Gravely 260Z, it would probably take about 35 minutes, average, to mow only. I mow a 2 acre property that is basically identical to what you describe, and it generally takes 70 to 80 minutes to mow, but the ground is pretty rough, which limits my speed somewhat.
  6. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

About an hour with my Scag 52" Walk Behind. With a Velke of course :)
  7. logical

logical LawnSite Member

Maybe it's a half acre house
  8. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a property that is about 1.2 acres minus the house and drive. To just cut it, no trimming or blowing it takes about 35 minutes. I am using a cub tank 54". Fairly smooth yard so I can cut almost wide open.
  9. Dave Carney

Dave Carney LawnSite Member

22 minutes but with more trees then that and more land roughness. Using a Exmark 72" frontrunner.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

7 hours:) 21" pusher:weightlifter: