How fast can you cut Bahia grass with Super Z or Kubota?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jvrieger, Oct 28, 2007.

1. jvrieger

jvrieger LawnSite Member

I was wondering how fast you can really cut Bahia grass with decent results, it is on a ball field, flat and fairly smooth.

We are either going to purchase a Kubota ZD series which cuts at 10 MPH or a Hustler Super Z which cuts at 15 MPH.

Does the extra 5 MPH even make a difference?

Kubota ZD diesel, 60" side discharge, is $10,500, brand new
    Super Z W/25hp Kaw, 60" rear discharge, is $7,850, 40 hours on mower

Which is better deal? :usflag:
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it makes .3333 % difference, that means what it takes you 3 hrs. to cut with a 10 mph machine, you can cut in 2 hrs. with the 15 mph. machine. This is not rocket science, you don't even need a math degree to figure this one.

I wouldn't buy a rear discharge Hustler for any amount of money difference.

Some of you Florida boy's that cut Bahia with a Super Z tell this young man how fast you are able to cut so he will understand it will cut the Bahia at 15 mph with the low cutting heights.
  3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

You will see grass do magic tricks when you are moving at 15mph trying to cut it.

It will look all nice and cut as you pass over it and then as you get a couple passes down it will magically grow to the same hight it was when you were there just a few minutes before.

(You wont be flying and cutting Bahia at 10 or 15 mph)
  4. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

No way in hell you are cutting bahia in the summer at 15 mph or ten for that matter. It gets 3 feet tall and when dry its like cutting wire. You can't cut full speed with a dixie never mind something else.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Hustler rep told me that the XR-7 deck was designed with Bahia grass in mind. That is why the front lip is beveled to allow the grass not to be pushed over as with the older style decks.
  6. dwr

dwr LawnSite Member

Try the Everride Warrior 60".It has a 13mph ground speed but no one cuts bahia at 13mph and 1 pass but it will do a very good job.And the price on a new unit will be inline with what you are looking at.
  7. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

It can be done at 15 mph, but the conditions have to be perfect. cutting it in the morning before the grass has a chance to bake in the sun and dry out helps a lot, but it all depends on how thick the grass is. I have two 28hp efi super z's, one is an xr-7 and the other is not. There is a night and day difference between the two when it comes to cutting bahia. The xr-7 deck will cut it a lot faster. If you look at the deck from the front, the blades are almost level with the bottom of the deck. this keeps the deck from pushing over the grass where the blades can't cut it.
  8. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Well... it depends.

As mentioned, Bahia is one of the toughest grasses to cut and under the right conditions it will grow super fast ('bout an inch a day :weightlifter: ).

The trick to cutting Bahia is frequency and blade's sharpness. If the ball field is irrigated and fertilized you will need to cut frequently, in some cases 4 day cycles are not unusual, during the growing season. And you MUST use sharp blades, every time.

The horror stories you hear about cutting it clean is based on the fact that most Bahia is used in farms and roadsides where it only gets cut every 10 to 20 days. Under those conditions it will bog down ANY mower.

I cut quite a bit with my Hustler Fastrak 21/54 at full speed (8 mph) and hardly miss a blade cutting at 2 1/4" to 2 3/4" depending on the season. I have tried the Super Z at full speed and it does just as well (just couldn't justify the additional $4k on my first year :cry: )

The other mower you should consider should be a JD. My son cuts 10 times more acreage (40-60 a week) than me with a 737/60 and gets great results at full speed too.

Regarding your "deal", I can't help you with that. Haven't seen anybody yet using a Kubota in my area and, like PP said, forget the rear discharge Hustler (bad flow)

Good luck
  9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You are right. The current Hustler decks seem to be made for southern grasses.

jvrieger, check this thread to see how fast it grows:
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

A Hustler Super Z with the XR-7 deck and fusion blades cutting at 2" will cut probably better than a Dixie Chopper and they both run 15 mph.

You have to cut Bahia more often so it will be easier to cut by keeping the shoots more tender. No, it will not cut good if you let it get 3' tall at 5 mph. but on a close cutting schedule of 4 to 5 days, the Super with a 28 efi and XR-7 deck will cut if very well at 15 mph.

The people that cut Bahia with this set up know this. Cutting Dallas grass that is really a weed stem that grows a couple of inches a night is like cutting baling twine and it will hardly ever leave a straggler with good blades at fast speeds.