How fast can you wear out the blade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kennedy Landscaping, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

On your stick edger how fast do you go through a blade. I already went through a blade on my Stihl FC-75 and I just got it like 3 weeks ago. I think it may be because I've been doing so many new edges lately, is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the amount of lawns, it'd be best to have an hour meter to judge, I probably go through mine at about that rate.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Lately I've been using it several times daily. Is it even possible to have an hour meter on a stick edger? I keep spare blades on the truck too so that will help out.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on volume.
    I average only one week per blade.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I got so tired of it I just ordered like IDK how many so long ago...
    100, 200, 250, 500?
    I don't remember but I said gimme the whole dang box and I don't run out no more,
    now I don't care whether a blade lasts me all day or 5 minutes LOL

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1 blade in three weeks? My edger go through more than that just sitting on the trailer! We would use one a day, maybe more if we did some larger places like commercial. Also, keep in mind, when you are doing the initial edges of the season, you are going to go through more. This is especially true of places that haven't been edged in awhile (which is another reason why I don't like to use stick edgers for initial edgings).

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I usually go through at least 1 a day this time of year. New ones make alot better edge than a used up worn out one

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've never checked the numbers on edger blades but if I had to guess I'd have to say about every 40 or 50 uses with a use being I used the edger at one property.

9. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

About one blade per week here also, we edge lots of roads and curbs too.

I don't let them get ground down too short, a good blade does a much better/faster job.

It's also a good practice to grease the gearhead when you change the blade.

Bob
    Lehighlawnpros

10. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

2-3 per week