1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How fast did your customer list grow?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 32vld, Dec 28, 2013.

1. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Craigslist here will land you more calls than you can answer, but they diamonds in the rough are just that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

This. A guy that owns a very successful LCO near me, and who was coaching me said it best. I want employees from craigslist who are looking to make $10/hr. I don't want clients from craigslist who are looking for the cheapest cut.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

wait, you started this year, in under a year you had 50 customers, dropped them and picked up another $90??

What did you do? go from the $10 lawn special to the $5 lawn special??

4. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

na i did nothing like you obviously would try.
    I had a lot of two week cuts messing up my days . Quality sales all of my jobs for me now. I was driving all over he%*, I would guess 3 hours of my days and they were the " I will let you know kind of clients , or the I will pay next visit of ok .
    It wasn't.
    I dropped the advertisement in the local paper and started targeting clients I wanted ,not taking those looking for deals.

I even had a lady try the "my son mowed it two days ago for free he came in and it saved me money come back in two or three weeks when I think it will need it again. Knowing he cut it under 2" in the summer .

90 clients is not a lot in a year with all the guys I worked overall. It may sound it but 90 from 6+ guys talking isn't a lot .
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 35DollarLawns

I personally like the respect a $ 60.00 fee gets to drop my gate. It stops all small talk from cheaps
    Posted via Mobile DeviceGo see a few pics from this year at www.Facebook.com/prop.prfect

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

90 customers isn't a lot
    Signing 140 clients in under a year is a lot

6 or more men to handle 90 weekly clients sounds like too many employees
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 35DollarLawns

That's why boss you do you and I will do me, k
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

140 in a year? Sounds crazy to me. 90 in a year sounds just as crazy!
    Talk about huge growth from 0 accounts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 35DollarLawns

Yep.. I didn't know a soul either.… right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Hard to remember my first year clearly now but times were much different than now there was no internet to be reputable and get work all you had to do was have a nice yellow page ad back then there was only one book too. Our first year we had about 330 customers note most were not lawn care customers they were driveway customers or parking lots. But it was much easier than now.
    Posted via Mobile Device